Burning Oil Smoke...

F1FTEENTH

Hi their, im very new to lexus, this is my first. 1995 ES300 with 241,000 miles.... When i bought the car, they had told me the people who changed the oil, accidentally spilled oil on the engine, and thats why their was a bit on the engine. But now that im home, i see it all over, and smell it burning. My Dad says its prolly head Gaskets, cause thats where it looks like its coming from and dripping on to the manifold, hence the smoke. Could anyone tell me how hard it is to change The head gaskets? and approx how long, and how to? Im getting so *BLEEP*ed at this car and its the second day i have owned it. And earlier, i took it to wash the engine to get the oil cleaned off, and the check engine light came on, so i took it to advance auto, and they didnt have a thing to check it and it was prolly just water that set it off... So they told me to disconnect the battery, so i did, and thats better now but, all these problems... Ugh, it SUCKS!!! Any suggestions about the headgaskets would reallllly be appreciated, or approx how much it would be for the dealer to do it? :cries: ugh....i cant imagine, but, just let me know. Thanks, Joel

I think you mean valve cover gaskets.......not head gaskets. :) I don't know what it would cost to replace, but I'm sure somebody else will pop in and give you the info you need. Oh yeah.......welcome to the club. :D

when you bought the car, what is/was the warranty you got with it. If it is recent, which you say it is, take it back and suggest they take care of the repair or you will seek to get them to buy the car back. If it was spilt oil it should be gone within a weeks time. Since you washed the engine, if you look hard enough you may even be able to pinpoint the location(s) where it is leaking. You know this, it is over or above the exhaust manifolds.

Valve cover gaskets are a consistent problem with the older model ES, as is the rear main seal. The front gasket can be done quite easily if you are mechanically inclined. The rear is not so easy just because of its location.

use the Search button above, and try searching on "leaking valve cover", open the search up to 7 days and older and search the ES forum only. you will find many threads as well as various prices that people have paid and been quoted.

I have read it can be up to $500 for both covers by a Lexus shop. Toyota shops may be a little cheaper.

Good luck, post up if you have trouble searching.

Keep in mind for getting codes read in the future. Your car is a 95. Most cars didn't adopt the OBD-II (on board diagnostic) standards until 1996. Lexus, however, implemented them in the ES in 1994. The problem is the connector on the data port that the tech has to use. It should be a rectangular connector in the OBD-II models but I think the 94-95 ES has a circular recepticle so even though they can read OBD-II codes they may not have an adaptor to have their reader mate with your data port.

steviej

Thanx guys for your help, but, i bought the car from a private party...and he didnt tell me or "imply" any type of warranty, he basically seemed and told me how good he took care of the car....and tonight as i was leaving again, the check engine light came back on..............wtf......idk, this car is giving me to many headaches for the second day i have owned it. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated!