What Destroys The Front End

akewlguy

I was curious what would effect the front end in these LS's. I know anything like hitting a curb or a pot hole cant help, but is there anything we should really avoid.

I look at the steel assembly with the control arms, rod ends and joints. Looks solid, feels solid, but some people at 50k have a poor ride. Two of the test drives I took had some shaking and clicking in that front end.

Any information appreciated.

Even if you never hit a pothole or curb, driving fast on bumpy roads and hard cornering wears out the suspension and steering linkage fast on any car or truck. That's one reason the best used cars are those that were owned by grandpas and grandmas.

It's difficult for young people to grasp this because they see all those ads on TV of cars and trucks being driven wildly and wrongly assume the vehicles "are built to withstand that kind of punishment."

It's difficult for young people to grasp this because they see all those ads on TV of cars and trucks being driven wildly and wrongly assume the vehicles "are built to withstand that kind of punishment."

Speak for yourself! :chairshot:

Chris, my '95 has 262k miles, and all of my front and rear suspension pieces are original except for my front 2 strut rods which I had replaced at 245k. My front end is nice and tight, and my ride quality is excellent!

At 65k this LEXUS was a 98. The LEXUS was messed up! The front end was bad.

SW do you have the ES? Reguardless that is awesome!

I know people who have crappy cars with stock everything at 300k. For sure how you drive will help in the long run.

I wonder if that '98 was in a collision at some point? That would do it. Otherwise, the 98's are lighter than their predecessors, so I would think there would be less stress on the suspension components.

Also I suppose where you live, especially climates with extreme variable temps, can have an effect on some fluid components like shocks.

My '98 was meticulosuly maintained at the Dealer but at 100k I need to address the front end soon. I do think large potholes and other surprises can do major damage to its heavy frame and that the only way to know is to have it thoroughly inspected regardless of miles or who owned the car. Even the most conservative drivers can hit large potholes on rough roads.

**can't wait to see your pics from the weekend** :cheers:

I have the ES, but most of my experience is with the LS. My dad's old 98 LS400 was what originally turned me on to Lexus, my next one will be an LS430. I only bought the ES because I couldn't afford a new LS430 and didnt want something used.

His 98 had 165,000 miles on it when he traded it for a new one in October '04. The only work he ever had done was lower ball joints at some point around 100k because of the condition of our roads and he drove it pretty hard. LS' will drive like new with literally hundreds of thousands of miles. I've driven one with 400k on it before and aside from the wear you'd expect on the interior it drove as well as a much newer one.

That LS had to have been abused.

weather can wear the seal around many bushings and tie rods especially with the kind of weather you have up in the northeast. Unless you're planning on garaging your LS during the cold weather, expect it.

So as usual I drive with caution.

I guess if you do over 60 you will hit bumps and other stuff that will make the LEX jump. I think all of the north has crappy roads.

Ohh well just drive and enjoy every second! My LEXUS took fifth at the LEXFEST.. Oh wait I did not wash her for two weeks and there were only five LS400/430s.

Cheers to LEXUS and UFC. Did anyone watch the Ultimate Fighting on Sunday. It was awesome!!