After Market Window Tinting

Jforf

I like to do the darker after maerket tinting on my cars. 15% of the front doors and 35% on the rest of the windows. What affect would this have on the auto feature of the rear view and drivers side mirrors?

I like to do the darker after maerket tinting on my cars.  15% of the front doors and 35% on the rest of the windows.  What affect would this have on the auto feature of the rear view and drivers side mirrors?

I had mine done aftermarket. Silver with the dark windows looks great! I had the rear darker also (just darker than legal). At night I do have a tough time looking out back window when backing. I also have a VERY difficult time putting both rear windows back up after rolling them down. I was told some sensor is having a hard time with the dark windows. I have to close windows using many short lifting of the switch.

Are you asking about the "auto dim" feature of the three rear view mirrors? If so, I am assuming that this feature on my 00 LS400 is similar. After I had 35% film installed on the side and rear windows of my LS400, I noticed that the mirror auto dimming feature did not work quite as well. The mirrors do not dim until cars behind are closer than before the tint was installed.

This has not been a problem since the darker rear window tint compensates for the inside mirror not autodimming as quickly. As for the outside mirrors, the much improved comfort provided by the tint during the day more than makes up for the slight decrease in autodimming efficiency at night.

I may be a little mixed up on what the tint percentages mean - I thought that 15% tint is darker than 35% tint? States laws usually require lighter tint on the front side windows than the rear side windows.

Here is a summary of tint limits by state: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Are you asking about the "auto dim" feature of the three rear view mirrors?  If so, I am assuming that this feature on my 00 LS400 is similar.  After I had 35% film installed on the side and rear windows of my LS400, I noticed that the mirror auto dimming feature did not work quite as well.  The mirrors do not dim until cars behind are closer than before the tint was installed.

This has not been a problem since the darker rear window tint compensates for the inside mirror not autodimming as quickly.  As for the outside mirrors, the much improved comfort provided by the tint during the day more than makes up for the slight decrease in autodimming efficiency at night.

I may be a little mixed up on what the tint percentages mean - I thought that 15% tint is darker than 35% tint?  States laws usually require lighter tint on the front side windows than the rear side windows.

Here is a summary of tint limits by state:  http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Yes the "auto dim" feature was my concern. I figured that it would still work but did not know how much it would be affected. I just checked one of my old reciepts and you are right the 35 goes on the front and the 15 everywhere else, that's what I get for going by memory.

I like to do the darker after maerket tinting on my cars.  15% of the front doors and 35% on the rest of the windows.  What affect would this have on the auto feature of the rear view and drivers side mirrors?

I think you have it backwards dude.......the % means the amount of light that is allowed through the tint. I think you mean 35% on the front windows & 15% on the rest. Due to laws, I don't think you can tint the two front windows that dark.....as you might get a hard time from the police. I tinted mine with 20% (medium shade) in charcoal with a metalized Llumar tint. No problems with the dimming rearview mirror & no problems seeing out at night. Here is a link below......Good Luck! B)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=20981

:cheers:

I think you have it backwards dude.......the % means the amount of light that is allowed through the tint. I think you mean 35% on the front windows & 15% on the rest. Due to laws, I don't think you can tint the two front windows that dark.....as you might get a hard time from the police. I tinted mine with 20% (medium shade) in charcoal with a metalized Llumar tint. No problems with the dimming rearview mirror & no problems seeing out at night. Here is a link below......Good Luck! B)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=20981

Nice looking ride. Yeah my memory is not what it used to be. 35 on the front windows and 15 the rest of the way.

Nice looking ride.  Yeah my memory is not what it used to be. 35 on the front windows and 15 the rest of the way.

I put the 20% all round as I personally liked the idea of having one colour on all the windows. I felt that was the best of all worlds......light enough to see out at night, nice appearance (especially when it has rained) & dark enough that it won't fade & look cheap. Just make sure you get a quality tint, not cheap stuff. B)

• 2 weeks later...

B)

Nice looking ride.   Yeah my memory is not what it used to be. 35 on the front windows and 15 the rest of the way.

I put the 20% all round as I personally liked the idea of having one colour on all the windows. I felt that was the best of all worlds......light enough to see out at night, nice appearance (especially when it has rained) & dark enough that it won't fade & look cheap. Just make sure you get a quality tint, not cheap stuff. B)

Well

Got it done yesterday. 35% front doors 15% everywhere else. Looks pretty good. Lifetime film, the best they had to offer. B)