Doesn't Matter The Octane Rating?

This morning I heard CBS news say that the "experts" on gasoline say that with the newer cars it doesn't matter what octane rating you use. In fact the premium is falling off as more and more are finding that it really doesn't matter what octane rating gasoline you use in todays newer cars. The gas prices are high and saving by going down in octane rating has caused many to realize that it really doesn't matter which level of gasoline you use.

I was surprised when I heard the story. I thought that it was just some dumb locate station saying what everyone would like to hear. That it is ok to drop down to lower octane rating with your car no matter what it says to use.

Then I heard it again on the CBN. What is the deal? I know there is a big difference in the performance of my car if you drop the octane rating. How can they say it doesn't make any differance?

Don't you risk damage to your car if you drop to lower octane rating with pinging or pre-dentonation resulting?

What is the real story? :o

If joe blow uses regular in his tarus their is no problem.

If you want a maximum performance and reliability of a high compression engine you better use premium.

I am goign to close this thread as it has been asked to many times with way too much info already listed and nothing in the debate has changed.