Best Oil & Tune Up For Ls400

justintime

I just bought a Lexus LS400 with 133,000 miles on it about a month ago. The car runs pretty good. However, about two weeks ago, the check engine light came on. Shares me half to death. I've read and heard that air pressure builds up in the gas tank and once released, the light will go off. I've also heard that if I disconnect the battery overnight and rehookup in the morning, the light will go off. The gas top thing didn't work. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery. That sounds like a temporary cover up to me. I'm the former owner of a 1995 Ford Explorer. I was told to unhook the battery cable at night when my transmission started slipping and that would correct that problem. Well, it would stop slipping temporarily, but didn't fix the real problem. The real problem was, the transmission was going bad. So I don't like that whole, "take the battery cable off so that the 'check engine light' resets' itself thing". I've also heard that the alternator could be going bad. I guess that would explain why I've had a problem or two with starting the vehicle for the last week. It acts as if it doesn't want to start at times. I've also heard that the water pump could be going bad. I'm thinking that I just may need a tune up and oil change. Any suggestions or recommendations? Also, what's included and needed for a good tune-up and how much should I expect to pay. What type of oil should I use? If you don't mind, please forward a copy of your response to me at: justintime4uc@yahoo.com. Thanks!

The check engine light means a code is stored - and that will produce a number that relates to the failure - which means you don't have to guess at what's wrong. Get the thing scanned, or do it yourself, and learn from the car what the problem is. Simple.