Transmissions Problems... Or The Chip?

jjmancini

Good advise! I removed solenoid number 2 and checked the resistance between the solenoid connector and the solenoid base and it is out of spec. The repair maual says it should be between 12-15 ohms this was 21. I ordered one from Irontoad.com for $155.00. Ill put it in next week and see how it works.

Did you try activating the solenoid while immersed in penetrating fluid?

It usually helps to free them and return to normal operating resistance.

It works well with fuel injectors just dont; keep it held with 12vdc or it burns

Any new thoughts?

If none... how should I get this diagnosed? Without having to pay an arm and a leg at the Lexus Dealer...

I have the same problem with my 1991 LS 178,000 miles. Its intermintent and only does it when its real Hot out (90degrees) and the car is fully warmed up. I also just replaced the transmission fluid and the transmission filter. However, I used Dextron III fluid( the valvoline website says the dextron III is fine for this car, but not totally sure). What I think is happening is the transmission is shifting from first gear directly into 4th gear instead of going to second and third.. I am assuming the computer must be gettting bad signals from some sensor to cause this to happen, or a problem with the valve body. I need help on this issue also, I dont want to pay the Dealer more than the car is worth to get it fixed.

Any new thoughts?

If none... how should I get this diagnosed? Without having to pay an arm and a leg at the Lexus Dealer...

I have the same problem with my 1991 LS 178,000 miles. Its intermintent and only does it when its real Hot out (90degrees) and the car is fully warmed up. I also just replaced the transmission fluid and the transmission filter. However, I used Dextron III fluid( the valvoline website says the dextron III is fine for this car, but not totally sure). What I think is happening is the transmission is shifting from first gear directly into 4th gear instead of going to second and third.. I am assuming the computer must be gettting bad signals from some sensor to cause this to happen, or a problem with the valve body. I need help on this issue also, I dont want to pay the Dealer more than the car is worth to get it fixed.

please excuse any improper usage and or posting particulars but I am very new to this and very excited to have found you all.

I am also having shifting problem and flashing light problem "o/d off"

1991 LS 400 with 250k miles

called 2 dealerships and gave blinking light description they replied:

need to bring in for diagnostic @ $200 to start out

and we have no idea what it is. can u imagine how fat a checkbook that would require.

bjkilpa and jjmancini I don't know you but I love you ........

I can't wait to hear how it all ends .....Thanks

I just replaced the Solenoid number 2 and while up on jack stands, it shifted fine through all gears, I am glad it didnt fall off the jack stands and take off into my kitchen :-). I sent my climate control module into Jim Walker to replace the LCD, once that is back and installed Ill do the full test, to see if it fixed the first to fourth shift problem. I bet jjmancini has a bad solenoid number 2 also. Part number 85420-50020 was the correct one. you can get it from irontoad.com for 155 bucks. That part works for solenoid number one or two. Ill keep you posted.

If your car is shifting from first to Fourth than its Solenoid number 2 that will not turn on(sticks in the off position), and therefore the only thing the transmission can think of doing is turn off solenoid number 1 which puts it into 4th gear (failsafe mode). if solenoid number one is bad, then it would go into first to second gear or third and fourth, depending on if solenoid One is stuck in on or off. The shop manual explains all the *BLEEP*ing paterns and how it would act if a solenoid fails. This may be more detail than you need :-) You should down load the codes from transmission and it should tell you which is failing, the shop manual will tell you how, to short the diag port to get the codes.

I have a 90 ls400 with 125,000miles. I'm having a similar problem. When it is really hot out, my trac light comes on. Once the trac light is on, the car will not downshift when I hit the gas hard. I can manually shift to a lower gear, but it will not downshift on its own. I called the dealer who said the trac system is not working properly (duh)...$95 just for a diagnostic.

• 1 month later...

Well, I took it to a mechaninc and well.

It seems to work! I have been drinving it around for about a week since I got it fixed, the total was $150 for the solenoid and $180 for the labor.

BUT, every now and again there are still some shifting problems. It is like the car is learning how to shift all over again. Either way thanks for the help!

Alos, I am interested in selling my car. Where would I post a buy/sell add?

Thanks again! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Any new thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before you do anything else, be sure to check the wiring harness inside the trunk. It's in the channel on the hinge on the driver's side. Apparently it can short out and cause all kinds of seemingly unexplained problems. Search for "wiring harness."