Coolant In Power Steering Reservoir?

DomLee

This may sound stupid, but can coolant get into the power steering reservoir?

My power steering reservoir has ALWAYS made a sort of whining type noise. This was AFTER it was replaced w/ a rebuilt unit (by Todd w/ TM Engineering) earlier this year. So I've been accustomed to this whining type noise. It isn't really loud, so I didn't think too much about it.

This past evening, I noticed that the fluid was a bit low. So I added just enough to bring the fluid level back to spec. When I did so, and I peeked into the reservoir to actually see the fluid level,...I noticed a slight green tint/coloring to the fluid. (The ATF fluid I was pouring in was not contaminated)

Keep in mind that my car currently has the typical green coolant. Yes, I know...use Toyota red coolant. But I've had the green coolant ever since I got the car earlier this year, and have not yet changed it out.

With all that said, is it possible for coolant to get into the power steering reservoir? Maybe it was the reflection of my flashlight hitting the fluid?

I know I'm burning a bit of oil.

With my shadetree mechanical knowledge, I don't "think" it is possible. Any input?

Its not really possible unless someone put coolant in the ps reservoir, ps fluid doesn't go through your engine, it goes through the pump, lines, and steering rack. Its not like having oil in your coolant, so if it did somehow get coolant in the ps reservoir, its not because of a bad gasket or seal or anything, someone would of had to put it in there.

I thought so. I mean, coolant circulates in the block, but the power steering fluid only circulates within the steering rack system.

Just puzzling.

Maybe it was the light bouncing off the surface that made it look a little green.

Thanks.