1997 Es300 Coin Holder

Bought the car 1 month ago.

Have never been able to get the coin holder to open/close properly.

I feel like there's "something missing".

The spring steel upper clip mounted above the hole is in-place.

Is there supposed to be some type of spring or something?

It takes a great deal of force to open, and never seems to close all the way.

Somethings definitely not right?

Anyone else run into this?

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, OR.

hey. i got a 97'.. coin holder... do you mean the top part of the center consul??? mine springs up. but i don't have any place to keep coin.. its just a flat place where i keep my wallet and reciepts etc... And as for closing it... all i can say is make sure that there isn't anything blocking... i.e. Keys or paper.

If you can show a pic.. that might help!

~Brian~

And welcome to the club!

Coin holder (or whatever it's called) that I'm talking about is actually underneath the panel that has the mirror control and gas filler/trunk release.

Just checked, and in the owners manual it's called the "Auxilary Box", but it seems like it's design intent was to be some type of coin holder as it's very similar to the one in my Honda Accord (and that one is called the "coin holder").

Jeff

get a new one. It is just a door/drawer that flips down. It has to be removable cause the fuse panel is behind it (at least in my car it is). It latch clip is in the door part not in the dash.

Call your Lexus dealership and see how much they are.

steviej

AHhh THAT box... it actually easily comes off with a little preasure. I just took mine off last week to check my fuses. No there is no spring. I actually forget its even there. Mine pulls open. and closes just as easily... if ya don't use it.. and it doesn't look bad.. i would just leave it. If you want to take it out... Pull up/outward, then you have to turn it sideways a bit inside the dash because there are 2 stoppers on each side to keep it from falling out when it is in normally. Maybe you canpull it out and see how it goes from there :)

~Brian~

haha, i use mine to hold all the quarters i need for the stupid expensive parking meters in downtown la when i need to go to the office for a short time. i think one quarter gets me about 6 minutes. but i figured out you have to be careful when you close the door, cuz if you slam the door shut, quarters fall down into the fuse area/engine area or whatever's back there. <_<