Sensor Lights On But Car Works Fine...

baul79racer

I have a "91 LS 400

Early this morning when the car was started some of the sensor lights stay on.

brake, battery, engine coolant and engine oil sensor lights. Even when you pull the parking brake it stay on. I check the fluids levels and brakes and there were fine. I'm just wondering if there a computer module that controls all 4 sensors and they all went out all at once. Please let me know what it takes to get this fix.

Paul

I have a "91 LS 400

Early this morning when the car was started some of the sensor lights stay on.

brake, battery, engine coolant and engine oil sensor lights. Even when you pull the parking brake it stay on. I check the fluids levels and brakes and there were fine. I'm just wondering if there a computer module that controls all 4 sensors and they all went out all at once. Please let me know what it takes to get this fix.

Paul

You can try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the neg. battery terminal for a couple of min. ??? :unsure:

Do you have a leaky power steering pump or have you checked your charging system lately? Your alternator may be on it's way out. I would suggest checking all your terminal connections and have your battery and alternator load tested.

Oh! by the way I don't have a leaking power steering problem. I haven't check lately on the charging system. Meaning the battery? It has a new battery in it roughly 3 - 5 mths ago. I will check the alternator. Do you think it may be internal leak? I will check about for posting results.

I'm back with some results....

I went to my local auto parts store for a diagnosis of the charging system. The result came with the engine not running for the battery 12 amps. With the engine running (NO VOLTAGE GETTING TO BATTERY) 11.46 amps. A new cost $370 dealer, Lexus dealer. Next step I had in mind is to have it balance for checking to see if the alternator checks out around 14 amps. The Lex has 162k.

Just went through this, your, symptoms entirely. The battery was not being fully charged because the slip rings within the alternator were worn completely away.

Apparently this had NOTHING to do with PS leak.

Thank you for your response wwest... I appreciate it. By the way, I was wondering if all the LS 400's all come with a nice shiny shield for the alternators to keep heat away. My does and I know that not all alternators come with a heat shield. Right now, the car is relaxing and being charge with a battery charger to keep the battery fresh when it's time to put the new alternator in. It should all go well. It's a Denso brand alternator too.

As I was working on the process today of taking the alternator out I had a left front side stuck piston caliper. I say it shouldn't be that hard to turn your wheel while the Lex is jack up. Right side caliper is fine. In fact, the left side caliper was replace 1 year ago with the same problem. It's an easy fix but I hope it last longer than a year?

• 2 weeks later...