92-00 Lexus Sc300

Hi, I am ready to purchase a lexus sc300, probably with around 40,000-80,000 miles. Can some of you tell me if this car has transmision problems? or other major problems with the engine?

I also want to know this car's biggest weakness.

Thanks, all the help is appreciated. B)

No major problems w/ my car thus far.

The control arm bushings tend to go bad as you get close to the 100k mark, at least....from what I've observed.

My transmission (manual)...is fine. It doesn't seem as firm in gear as other cars that I've driven, but my car does have 125k+ miles on it so that is to be expected. Maybe it is time for a rebuild?

My engine is burning a bit of oil. Not sure where is it doing so, whether the oil seal rings are bad or whether it is just coming out of the valve cover. I did notice that the valve cover gasket does seem old.

Biggest weakness? I guess the biggest weakness would be how "long" the car is. It is as long as a Yukon Denali!!!

Overall, it is a very sound vehicle. My experience w/ this car is that it is a bit nose heavy. It handles very similar to my former 240sx, just on a "bigger" scale. I wish the feedback from the steering wheel was better. My steering wheel is so....light that I can easily steer the vehicle w/ a finger. While this is nice, I would've liked more feedback from the road.

Also, I think you'll find a SC closer towards the 80,000 range for mileage. I don't expect to see ANY SCs w/ 40,000 miles. In fact, all the ones that I've seen thus far...have at least 100k miles.

Also, I think you'll find a SC closer towards the 80,000 range for mileage.  I don't expect to see ANY SCs w/ 40,000 miles.  In fact, all the ones that I've seen thus far...have at least 100k miles.

I was lucky to pick up my '99 with 43k :).

No problems so far but I've only had it a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

although i am known to be a bit accident prone and have some bad luck... listen to this...

i bought a 93 sc300 from my friends mom. Perfect condition since she bought a sl500 a year and a half earlier and was a total house mom that never drove. ( i know her well, nice lady) Well, the car sat in a warehouse the whole time and maybe that contributed to these problems but whatever i dont know. After having the car about a month or so i noticed a small leak of oil in the engine bay. This ussually happens when the car is run hard. That made me think that my friend had a little more time in the car than he let on. Whatever no biggie. Well it turns out that the leak was large enough to short out my alternator. Then at the same time my starter went out.... go figure. Dont know of thats related at all but just letting you know. Watch out for those leaks!!!! it was a valve cover seal that was leaaking by the way... In any case, the car is worht the trouble. I love it

juancho