New Ls 400 Buyer

maxtorque02

Hey guys, new to the forum and I'm in the process of helping my son purchase a car and we just looked at an LS 400. Car is in pretty nice shape, but it has 166,000 miles on it. After reading through some posts, that doesn't concern me much. What does concern me is a taping noise at idle. It doesn't appear down low and doesn't sound like lifter noise per say either. I was wondering is it common for these things to possibly have noisy fuel injectors? It seems to go away when reving past 1500 to 2000 rpm and it can't be heard in the cabin of the car. Any ideas would be appreciated. :D

Did you read laymens for laymens at the top of the LS400 page?

Also how much...? What is the year?

Check on what has been changed/repaired.

There are some things that go wrong and it costs money.. Front end is really important (up to $2000 to fix)... Power steering pump ($500)... Dash lights when cold ($300).. Timing belt ($500)..

There are a few other issues on in the Laymens guide.. Follow it to a T and you will end up with a awsome LEXUS like I have (93 LS400).. Also there are plenty of them out there so dont get to excited about the first one.. Unless its a great deal that meets the Laymens guide!

Cheers to LEXUS and your a great dad!

Did you read laymens for laymens at the top of the LS400 page?

Also how much...? What is the year?

Check on what has been changed/repaired.

There are some things that go wrong and it costs money.. Front end is really important (up to $2000 to fix)... Power steering pump ($500)... Dash lights when cold ($300).. Timing belt ($500)..

There are a few other issues on in the Laymens guide.. Follow it to a T and you will end up with a awsome LEXUS like I have (93 LS400).. Also there are plenty of them out there so dont get to excited about the first one.. Unless its a great deal that meets the Laymens guide!

Cheers to LEXUS and your a great dad!

Thanks guys for the replys. It's a 1991 with 165,000 miles on it. It does have a salvage title as it was totaled back in mid 2004, but it appears to be put back together very well and it has a complete new paint job (good, but not great). It's black with some chrome 20's on it and is as quiet as one could imagine inside the cab. We can get it for under $5k and will definitely have it inspected before we go further. I've already lined up a shop to do that.

post-19524-1122520799_thumb.jpg

I'd pass on the car. It's got high mileage and no extensive preventive maintenance service records so it's likely got alot of mechanical wear and tear. It has 20" rims so it's been raced or at least driven hard by a young owner = severe suspension and steering linkage wear. Lastly, it's got engine valve tapping noise = symptom of racing or poor lubrication due to maintenance neglect. Some LS400 V8's with a history like that have blown up at around 175-200K The $5,000 price is also high for a '91 LS400 that has high mileage and has been totalled with a salvage title. Sounds like a used car dealer is selling this vehicle.

There are some good, one owner, private party ads for early '90's LS's at cars.com and craigslist.org selling for $6,000-9,000 with 60,000-110,000 miles that were driven gently by middle aged or older people and have an extensive preventive maintenance service history. You may need to be willing to travel a considerable distance to purchase such a car and willing to drive it home

No go. Do not buy that car.

Take it for a drive and then take a few others for a drive. I am sure you will see a difference. It should be the best ride you have driven. The 20" wheels may make an ant feel like a speed bump.

Also I agree that is was probably driven hard. If not the 20" wheels can not help the front end that is prone to $1500 dollar repairs every 100,000 miles. I would not be surprised if there is a vibration or shake up front.

For sure the salvage scares me. I dont care how well they can rebuild them in CALI, I just paid 6900 for my 93LS with 93k and its close to mint.

Did you look at cars.com? Auto trader.com? There are plenty of LEXUS's out there. Although they do last to 300k I would rather have one with 100k then 160k. Also the 93-94 is a better LEXUS. Go to the links at the top of LS400 and look at generations. They added a lot of great things in the 93.

Cheers, but dont rush!

The picture does look nice, but these cars hold up. I am sure your son loves the wheels, but I dont.

In the end the decision is yours, but I would be cautious since repairs are expensive there are numerous strikes against this car.

Why is owner selling?

Run..... run away from the car as fast as you can and don't look back. A salvage title is a sure fire indication that you will have problems with the car no matter what. Spend $6k on something better with fewer miles and a clean title and you'll be much happier.

If you spend that $5K now on that car then you will be spending another $5K in the next year just to keep it running. I guarantee you'll regret it.

I agree with the guys, DO NOT buy that car. You can do much better for the money.

I agree DO NOT BUY IT... I just bought a 94 ls400 for 4900.00 with 102k one owner all the service records.... and just got a 93 gs300 for 5600.00 two owner all the service records with 129k miles(was hard to find)... but it took time and alot of looking... for these cars. your on the right track by searching these forums for the info you need!!! :cheers: