Ashtray Is Jammed?

ED.

Back in June I took the whole consle arear apart for some cleaning. Although I no one who drives in the car smokes I still like the ashtray to be working right. I noticed on Friday that it wouldnt open. It took some force but we were finally able to get it open. What is wrong? Should I remove it again and see why its jamming. Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks

Mine does the same thing. I have to press the top of the ashtray to "unhook" the locking mechanism and then press the bottom to get it open. I had to remove my ashtray last week because the lighter was loose, and it was blowing a fuse--disabling my a/c and abient temp. We broke it(the springing action of the ash tray) from the first time it the lighter came loose. I've learned to live with it since I don't want to pay a few hundred $$ for a new one.

The ashtray has gears and springs on the inside to make it spring open, so when you take it out of its bracket that holds it to the larger wood trim, it's really, really, really hard to get it to work again. Best of luck!

Maybe it's worth a try for you one day when you're bored; you can't break it any more (short of dropping it)! lol I have very large hands, so it was hard for me just to snap it back in to it's little bracket. If you do decide to try, there are 4 philips screws that hold the ash tray to the larger wooden trim. After you have just the ashtray in your hands, there are 2 small philips screws on each side that hold the ashtray in its little mounting bracket. It's now ready to be pried out. I had to use a small flat-head screw driver to get it out, and in that process the springs came flying out. Maybe you might be better at this than me and get it to work again! ;)

Same thing happened to me guys. All it is is just a mechanism glitch. Although when I tried pressing on it constantly it started working again. From time to time it does that but this isn't anything to worry about.

:cheers:

You’re supposed to press on the Middle TOP section of the ashtray to open it. That’s how it’s designed. What exactly are the problems you guys are having? I just took out the wood in my console the day before yesterday, brought it inside, and buffed the hell out of it, and now it looks brand new.

I took the ashtray out of the wooden part for better buffing action, and had no problems when I put it back. I also buffed the gearshift, and the plastic part with P, R, D, 4, etc.

Big difference how it looks at night. I also have an LED orange mood light lighting up from the top like the newer LS, Bmw, and Mercs. and the wood glows up even better, and shiner at night. (This mod drives everyone that’s gets in my car crazy, and they want it on their cars. However, I tell them it looks real nice on the LS because of the glow from all the wood in the console)

Edit: It was also a good opportunity to clean the cup holders, and all the soda that was spilled, slowing down the operation of the mechanism.