Pcv Grommet Fell Into The Hole

yep just what it says.........i was changing it and the upper part of it was so old it ripped off and the bottom part fell in there and i cant seem to get it out or find it......big deal?

anyway i installed the new one and the car is flying, so much faster, acceleration, idling wow what a difference

I agree with SK that nasty things could potentially happen by leaving a sizable piece of rubber loose inside the engine. I learned this the hard way myself. A cylinder head half moon rubber plug fell down into the timing chain mechanism of an old Toyota pickup I had. Engine ran fine for a few days and then one day when I tried to start it and it kind of locked up and wouldn't turn freely. I removed the valve cover and saw the rubber plug had jammed itself between the timing chain and crankshaft gear preventing the engine from turning and I also saw the chain had jumped a tooth on the camshaft gear spocket.

So not only did I have to get the piece of rubber out, I also had to remove the camshaft gear sprocket and timing chain in order to realign them to fix the skipped tooth condition. Luckily the engine ran fine after I fixed it.

yep just what it says.........i was changing it and the upper part of it was so old it ripped off and the bottom part fell in there and i cant seem to get it out or find it......big deal?

anyway i installed the new one and the car is flying, so much faster, acceleration, idling wow what a difference

This happened to me, too... but I was extremely lucky. I got a very bright work light and managed to get it to shine into the hole - I could just see the rubber piece inside the valve cover. I bent a hook into the end of a small piece of wire and managed to move the piece nearer to the hole in the valve cover. A pair of very slim long nose needle-nosed pliers, a great deal of finesse, and a lot of holding of breath - it came out. You might want to try (carefully!) fishing around with a little wire with a hook in it before you tackle removal of the intake and valve cover - it's a long shot, but you might get lucky like I did.

Since then, I change the grommet every time I change the PCV so it doesn't get so old & brittle that it breaks. I also hold it tightly with pliers and cut it through on one side with a sharp utility knife - it comes out in one piece much more easily that way.

tck...