Remote Start/alarm

Hi, I'm just wondering if there is a stock alarm built in my 1993 SC400. If so, how does it go off(whens someone breaks a window; open the door etc). Another question I have is, Are there any problems known for SC400's installing an aftermarket remote start and alarm combo. Also, which brands are good and is bestbuys and circuit city a good place to install them.

I have a factory alarm on my car. When armed, it goes off if the doors are opened w/o the use of a key (slim jimmed). The locks will attempt to go back in the locked position. I know, because I had to call AAA after I thought I had locked myself out of my car.

Also goes off if the hood were to be opened. I think it also does the same for the trunk.

The factory alarm sucks though. The alarm will not go off, if you break the window from what I've been told. (This info is coming from a very reputable Lexus speciality shop here in LA)

I have a factory alarm on my car.  When armed, it goes off if the doors are opened w/o the use of a key (slim jimmed).  The locks will attempt to go back in the locked position.  I know, because I had to call AAA after I thought I had locked myself out of my car. 

Also goes off if the hood were to be opened.  I think it also does the same for the trunk. 

The factory alarm sucks though.  The alarm will not go off, if you break the window from what I've been told.  (This info is coming from a very reputable Lexus speciality shop here in LA)

What year is you SC?

I always just arm mine by hitting the button AFTER I close the door. The little alarm light comes on, and I get that warm tingly feeling inside.

And I think the only way to disarm mine if it goes off, is to stick the key in the door.

My alarm is armed when I hit the lock button on the door. The previous owner did not give me the master Lexus key (the one w/ the door open button). He lost it, but had two regular Lexus keys.

I'm not sure about disarming the alarm when you insert a key in the door. I don't remember exactly, but I believe there was an instance when I set off the alarm while I had opened the hood. And the way I turned if off was to put the keys in the ignition (the windows were down, but when the alarm goes off, the doors will lock).

My alarm is armed when I hit the lock button on the door.  The previous owner did not give me the master Lexus key (the one w/ the door open button).  He lost it, but had two regular Lexus keys. 

I'm not sure about disarming the alarm when you insert a key in the door.  I don't remember exactly, but I believe there was an instance when I set off the alarm while I had opened the hood.  And the way I turned if off was to put the keys in the ignition (the windows were down, but when the alarm goes off, the doors will lock).

Cool..... Good info. I'm going to leave the windows down and lock the doors. After that I'll manually reach inside from the outside of the vehicle and try to open the door to see if it goes off. Anyway, the alrm won't go off if someone breaks the windows or hits the vehicle, but it will if someone opens any part of the car witout the key.

If my car is locked with the windows down, and someone unlocks the door without the key, the alarm goes off. If someone breaks the glass, I doubt it will go off. I don't think vehicles back then came with glass sensors, or shock sensors either. So if someone hits it no, if they break the glass no, but I know they can't get in your car (without climbing through the window) and start it.

We use DEI here, well... We did. We installed one, and refuse to do anymore. I'm sure on older cars, or someone that has more experience it's easier, but our first car was a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. Never again... Never. It was a nightmare with all the Immobilizer crap.

DEI is a great brand though, from what I know.