Oil Change Breaks

hey I am new here and i just got 2002 es300 i need to change my oil and breaks i see most of the people change it by them self but that's a lot of time to figure staff out ,i don't have it right now <_< ,should i go to local gas station or to lexus dealer ?

I have factory alarm but it is not working as alarm i mean i touch the handle of the door and nothing doing ,in my previous car alarm at my Pontiac you touch the car ,alarm starts screaming is there any thing can be done about this , remote starter is there built in one oh i need to install if i need to install witch one is the best , thanks a lot ...

Greg... :cheers:

I wouldn't just go to any old place for an oil change. If you want to save money go to a reputable independent mechanic that specializes in Lexus/Toyota vehicles. Another option is find a Toyota dealership that will service Lexus cars (you have to call them first, some Toyota dealers won't service it).

As far as the alarm goes, it only goes off if the glass is broken, the door is forcibly opened (same for the trunk and moonroof), and some other situations (can't remember right now). Simply pulling the door handle will not set off the alarm, it is not that sensitive. If it is indeed broken, your car is still under warranty (unless your mileage is past the warranty), so you can go to a Lexus dealer for repairs.

I should also add that Steviej made a really good and detailed post on the tutorial section of this website on how to replace the oil and transmission fluid on a 2002 ES300. Worth a look if you're interested in doing this yourself.

Oh and btw, Welcome to the LOC. :)

I have a 98 ES300 bought 4 years ago. Bought it with 34K and now I have 152K miles. I get my oil changed at WalMart. The oil goes in yellow and comes out yellow 7,000 miles later. All you need is someone who changes the oil and puts the plug back on.

hoho my brotha, now you are talkin'. I've actually started to buy into the technical benefits of all of the aftermarket/OEM hype.

Let the oil out, then put some back in after the plug is re-installed. A-men.

I have a 98 ES300  bought 4 years ago.  Bought it with 34K and now I have 152K miles.  I get my oil changed at WalMart.  The oil goes in yellow and comes out yellow 7,000 miles later.  All you need is someone who changes the oil and puts the plug back on.

First off yellow oil? Never heard of that and also 7K miles on a dino oil? Talk about solids in the oil...I would LOVE to see an oil test done with walmat oil with 7K miles. Watch out since you do have a 98 with the famous engine issues.

As far as the alarm goes, it only goes off if the glass is broken

That's news to me! :blink: No Lexus factory alarms ever had glass break detection. <_<

I have a 98 ES300  bought 4 years ago.  Bought it with 34K and now I have 152K miles.  I get my oil changed at WalMart.  The oil goes in yellow and comes out yellow 7,000 miles later.  All you need is someone who changes the oil and puts the plug back on.

First off yellow oil? Never heard of that and also 7K miles on a dino oil? Talk about solids in the oil...I would LOVE to see an oil test done with walmat oil with 7K miles. Watch out since you do have a 98 with the famous engine issues.

Hey pls elaborate on the famous engine issues, what kinda problems ? I got a 98 es 300 also.

They are referring to the engine sludge issues that are synonymous with 97-98 ES's. The engines have a tendency to develop a type of oil sludge if the oil is not changed on an acceptable basis (at least every 6,000 miles). I personally try to follow the 3,000/3-month rule.

If your engine does develop the sludge problem, it is my understanding that Lexus offers a conditional engine replacement program. You must provide records proving that the oil was changed often enough, and there may be a mile/year limitation.

I suggest doing a search on the forums on this issue. It has been talked about a lot; I remember asking about this when I got my 97. Search "engine sludge."

They are referring to the engine sludge issues that are synonymous with 97-98 ES's.  The engines have a tendency to develop a type of oil sludge if the oil is not changed on an acceptable basis (at least every 6,000 miles).  I personally try to follow the 3,000/3-month rule. 

If your engine does develop the sludge problem, it is my understanding that Lexus offers a conditional engine replacement program.  You must provide records proving that the oil was changed often enough, and there may be a mile/year limitation. 

I suggest doing a search on the forums on this issue.  It has been talked about a lot; I remember asking about this when I got my 97.  Search "engine sludge."

Let me add some light here.

1) the years of the engines affected are 1996 to 2002

2) There is/are not doc stated from Lexus that you must do anything. All I have see on my letters is, “All we ask is that you show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle” I have already read, and I will try to find it that you only need (1) oil change per year to show you did anything.

3) The engine replacement program is only 8-years from the original date.

4) Here is my webpage since I have been following this for about 2 years now.

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/oil/oil_sludge.htm

The engine in a 2003ES is identical to the 2002ES, so how come that's not included with these problems??? Also, the engines in the '04 and '05 ES's just have increases in HP....nothing more....same basic engine.

The engine in a 2003ES is identical to the 2002ES, so how come that's not included with these problems??? Also, the engines in the '04 and '05 ES's just have increases in HP....nothing more....same basic engine.

No clue but just because they are the same engine does not mean there did minor rev's on internal machining issues.

Same engine does not mean "identical". You can have the same engine part numbers put the engineers rev'ed or made an engineering change to the casting, for example. So you can start with an engine and make changes, internal and external, and you the cusomter will never know.

If they are bumping up the HP they are doing something; ie, changing psiton dia, making plumbing lines smaller or larger, thinning walls etc.

No clue but just because they are the same engine does not mean there did minor rev's on internal machining issues.

Same engine does not mean "identical". You can have the same engine part numbers put the engineers rev'ed or made an engineering change to the casting, for example. So you can start with an engine and make changes, internal and external, and you the cusomter will never know.

If they are bumping up the HP they are doing something; ie, changing psiton dia, making plumbing lines smaller or larger, thinning walls etc.

The basic engine block and oiling system are the same from, '02 thru '05! They are "identical". The "bumping up" of the HP, whether it's the plumbing, cylinder bore size, or the compression should have nothing to do with the gelling(sludge) problem that earlier ES's were plagued with. That was why Lexus redesigned their ES engines starting in 2002 and continued until the present.

Without seeing the drawings of the casting and machining I can’t answer this topic/thread. Unless you have them you are guessing also. I only say this since any machining houses and manufactures handle all drawing by rev control. You can have a engine made 1 year ago and be different based on rev control. You could have EC’ed a tolerance from +/- .005 to +/- .002 for example. Still be the same engine, same part number etc. You will not see anything different unless you inspect every part. Unless you pull back all older engines, they are different based on the functionally of all designs.

And yes making a cooling line smaller (for example) WILL have an effect on sludge. It is basic thermodynamcics here; it takes the Q and Q” delta different. At least this is what I know from my engineering background.

We had airplanes, yes airplanes , stop working and make emergency landing a few months back from a $4 resistor on a engine control. Try and track that down and see what control was made from what rev on the drawing….

OK.....agreed......the size of the oil cooling line could be a reason for sludging, but not changes in cylinder bore or the compression ratio. I know about revisions, but these are generally to correct minor problems. Before an engine is released for production it goes through many tests to insure that there won't be any problems over the long haul.