Rx330 Wood Trim

LexKid630

Today i was cleaning the interior of my Rx330 and started on the wood trim in the center console near the floor, and on the rear center seat fold-down. I never really looked closely, but as i tapped on it, it seemed fake; like plastic!!

It's that crappy light yellow wood that goes with the ivory interior.

Is it fake or is it just me?? I know the steering wheel is real wood, but just not sure about the trim.

• 2 weeks later...

The lacquer is so thick it makes the wood feel like plastic! I do like the look, however.

We test drove a GS300 before buying the RX, and the wood inside comes from the same tree. Matching grain and color... unbelievable!

Thats because it IS plastic. Like I said before, the RX330 is the only Lexus model that has imitation wood. The only real wood is on the steering wheel and the shifter. If you really compare the two its pretty obvious.

Thats because it IS plastic. Like I said before, the RX330 is the only Lexus model that has imitation wood. The only real wood is on the steering wheel and the shifter. If you really compare the two its pretty obvious.

I agree it is deffinetely plastic. No way that's real wood i dont care how much clear acrylic is on it.

I can't believe they use fake wood. how much $$$ are they really saving by using plastic??

Trust me its not, I've seen the peices. Again when you look at it its obviously fake.

Its one of a few cost cutting measures I've noticed on the RX330 that arent there in any other Lexus model.

I still think there is a thick layer of clear acrylic over the plastic too because you can't feel that little chrome thing (on the center console wood peice). I think that's like a sticker, but with all that clear acrylic it makes the whole surface smooth.

NO way that's real wood

Look at tghe trim in your ES, GS, or LS and compare it too, the grain is much more natural. The dead giveaway is that the fake wood has no depth.

Oddly enough the RX300 had real wood...

Look at tghe trim in your ES, GS, or LS and compare it too, the grain is much more natural. The dead giveaway is that the fake wood has no depth.

Oddly enough the RX300 had real wood...

Yes the wood trim on the Rx330 is without a doubt plastic as far as i can tell. It's deffinetely much different than any other wood grain on a Lexus, that's why i started this post. I couldn't believe Lexus sctually put FAKE wood in their cars!!

Looks like the wood on the new Avalon's.

I wonder if EVERY Rx330 with the ivory interior has the SAME exact pattern for all the fake wood pieces. I mean the wood grain pattern + colors...i can't believe that every single piece has a differennt mold!? how many Rx330's were made alrwady?? That would be interesting to find out.

I know the wood grain in my Rx330 looks a little "too" perfect.

A couple of years ago, I was invited to participate in a research study put on by a consumer research company which specializes in automotive consumer research. One of the things we were assigned to do was study, by look and feel, a number of wood looking samples of automotive trim and rate our preferences as to appearance and also record whether we thought it was real wood or similated wood. After completing the questionaire on this and other topics, we went into the debriefing room (one-way mirror and all) and the group discussed our findings and opinions of each display we observed. What was interesting was that no one in the group, including some self-proclaimed experts, had identified many more than about half of the samples correctly as to being real or simulated wood.

I was also surprised by how extremely thin the real wood verneers were when shown a cross-section. It became obvious that there is no way to differentiate the real from the similated by feel and that it would require a very well trained eye to pick out the real by sight.

Many that the study participants in my group rated as most attractive samples were the similated wood.

Based on what I observed at that time, I would ask anyone who says definitely that it is wood or it is simlated to provide more evidence than just their opinion.

A couple of years ago, I was invited to participate in a  research study put on by a consumer research company which specializes in automotive consumer research. One of the things we were assigned to do was study, by look and feel, a number of wood looking samples of automotive trim and rate our preferences as to appearance and also record whether we thought it was real wood or similated wood. After completing the questionaire on this and other topics, we went into the debriefing room (one-way mirror and all) and the group discussed our findings and opinions of each display we observed. What was interesting was that no one in the group, including some self-proclaimed experts, had  identified many more than about half of the samples correctly as to being real or simulated wood.

I was also surprised by how extremely thin the real wood verneers were when shown a cross-section. It became obvious that there is no way to differentiate the real from the similated by feel and that it would require a very well trained eye to pick out the real by sight.

Many that the study participants in my group rated as most attractive samples  were the similated wood.

Based on what I observed at that time, I would ask anyone who says definitely that it is wood or it is simlated to provide more evidence than just their opinion.

I "would" rip the piece off and cut it down the center but i don't exactly have a replacement LOL. That really would have to be the only way to tell if it was real or not.

I've seen a wood trim peice off of the car, its definately plastic. No veneer at all. The wood veneers are extremely thin you're right, but I've honestly never seen fake wood that I thought was real...

Its actual wood. Granted its paper thin, but the factory wood in all Lexus is real. Ive seen upclose without the gloss. They for the longest time have used the same wood used to build yamaha pianos.SW are you referring to the plastic aftermarket stuff they use to complete the set?

... well is it real or isn't it !! LOL. It either is or it isn't. So far only SW03ES has seen it and knows it's fake, so has anyone else actually SEEN it and held it in their hands? Tht would be the only way to say it's real.

Is there a way to remove a piece carefully and be able to put it back together? Maybe i will take a look?

It became obvious that there is no way to differentiate the real from the similated by feel and that it would require a very well trained eye to pick out the real by sight.

That's good to know. When I've been on business trips and rented Hyundai Sonata's I was impressed by the look of the wood and told myself: "you know this looks as good as the wood in my Lexus and I really can't tell which one is real or which one is fake."

It became obvious that there is no way to differentiate the real from the similated by feel and that it would require a very well trained eye to pick out the real by sight.

That's good to know. When I've been on business trips and rented Hyundai Sonata's I was impressed by the look of the wood and told myself: "you know this looks as good as the wood in my Lexus and I really can't tell which one is real or which one is fake."

Very true; it does look real..but i just can't help wondering if Lexus is kind of...tricking us..into thinking it's real when it's probably only really worth $0.50.

Also, i'm not sure if these pieces are put on at the factory or what. I know that the door panel pieces etc. on the "Rx300" aren't put on at the factory. I have NO idea if this matters or applies to the Rx330.

No, I'm referring to an actual peice from the door of an RX330. Have you examined the peices on specifically an RX330? Remember its the only Lexus EVER to have imitation wood anywhere.

Other than  snob appeal, B) , if you liked it when you bought it, what does it matter now?

don't get my wrong, i LOVE the Rx330. When i bought it the firsst thing i noticed WAS the yellowish wood. I just assumed it was real because it was a Lexus.