01 Es300 Stall At Start Mystery

HMac

My car has alot of miles (113K) and has been pretty solid overall, (new timing belt a little while ago/recent rotors and back pads), however about 6 or 7 months ago, I tried to start it, and perhaps didn't turn the key fully, and it would turn over but it wouldn't idle. So I kept my foot on the gas (neutral and red lights) and headed to my mechanic (he's pretty good overall, I stopped going to the dealership about 2 years ago), and before I got the 3 or 4 miles to the shop it was ok. With no "check engine" light on, he did a test and couldn't find anything -- had him look a couple of other times since with no luck.

This then would appear say once a a month since; and then go back to "normal" Well now it's happening again and it's happening alot more frequently almost every time I start - and even when it's working it's idling very low, say .5. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

My ES 300 experienced carbon build up which resulted in stalling. The longer I waited the more it stalled. Eventually had to replace the EGR valve. Have your mechanic inspect/clean your throttle body, EGR and IACV. Also pop in a bottle of SEA FOAM ($5 at Advance Auto) into your gas tank. It may be fuel or carbon related. This will help narrow down the problem.

As a new member you should always search for answers yours is called

the IACV

Atleast 200 posts so their is no excuse for not finding all the info to find ,fix ,and maintain with pictures for your convience.

My car has alot of miles (113K) and has been pretty solid overall, (new timing belt a little while ago/recent rotors and back pads), however about 6 or 7 months ago, I tried to start it, and perhaps didn't turn the key fully, and it would turn over but it wouldn't idle. So I kept my foot on the gas (neutral and red lights) and headed to my mechanic (he's pretty good overall, I stopped going to the dealership about 2 years ago), and before I got the 3 or 4 miles to the shop it was ok.  With no "check engine" light on, he did a test and couldn't find anything -- had him look a couple of other times since with no luck.

This then would appear say once a a month since; and then go back to "normal" Well now it's happening again and it's happening alot more frequently almost every time I start - and even when it's working it's idling very low, say .5.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hey HMac, I'm right up there with you, 110,700 miles on my '01 ES :D

I also experienced the start up problem sometime last year, and the Toyota dealership concluded that the throttle body is very dirty, causing the fuel/air ratio to be improperly mixed, making the ECU confused when the engine is started. The dealership cleaned the throttle body, and it only took them an hour to do it (just paid the labor charge of $88 per hour). I also got the IACV (idle air control valve) replaced via warranty, just for good measure. Since then, I haven't had any start-up problems :)

BTW Mac, have you ever encountered any whining noise from the steering wheel (when you turn)? I've been getting that lately, and I'm taking it to the dealership in Greenwich for diagnosis. My guess is that the boot under the steering column should be lubricated, but I'm more concerned about the power steering fluid and its effect on the pump (more expensive to replace).

Thanks to all for the input. And SK, I'll certainly use the search feature - did try a topic scan before posting but will use the "forum" search feature in the future.

:)

In reading the posts, it seems there are three components to be cleaned (throttle body, IACV and EGR (thanks Melhadri) and that clearly seems to be the first step (with perhaps a motorvac at the same time. It also seems that some people have had the IACV and/or the EGR replaced. If cleaning doesn't do the trick, how much should a new IACV go for? The EGR?

lexusk8, I do recall hearing the whining noice from the steering wheel in the winter when my car was out in the cold. that's what I attributed to, since it has happened irregularly (I don't recall hearing it recently).

Also lexusk8, has your experience at the Toyota of Greenwich dealership (instead of the Lexus dealership) been good? I was not pleased with Lexus of Westport - way, way too expensive -- and could give Toyota of Westport a shot. I'm using Penfield Automotive in downtown Fairfield, but I'm a little disappointed that he didn't figure this out for me.

Thanks again to you all and to eman be lexin as well :cheers: