Electrical System Went Crazy

john1529

Driving my 97 LS400 early this morning my radar detector started going crazy followed by dimming lights on the dash. Barely had any headlights (which was fun BTW) and began losing power to the point that I maxed out at about 25mph. Luckily I coasted in my driveway and it died. Started fine about 2 hrs later but a couple interior lights seemed to be dim.

Does this sound like the typical alternator problem?

Thanks

John

Driving my 97 LS400 early this morning my radar detector started going crazy followed by dimming lights on the dash. Barely had any headlights (which was fun BTW) and began losing power to the point that I maxed out at about 25mph. Luckily I coasted in my driveway and it died. Started fine about 2 hrs later but a couple interior lights seemed to be dim.

Does this sound like the typical alternator problem?

Thanks

John

just go to autozone and let them run the battery andalternator test for free but first check your connections

Thanks for the info. Cleaned the terminals and charged battery. Alt, bat lights came on after about 20 min. I'll try autozone for testing.

Is everyone buying a rebuilt alternator locally at places like autozone or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

You got a bad alternator or wire for sure.

A bad alternator can also help destroy a battery that was once good very quickly

I figured it was a bad alternator. How would I check for a bad wire? Pull the alternator?

you would have to check the resistance in the wire with a multimeter or ohmmeter to see if the resistance is too high which you would need a wiring diagram to do