Noise From Front Tire

The noise comes from the front on the drivers side, the noise sounds like a bearing, I have rotated the tires and the noise remains. The boot on the CV joint is perfect and there is not clicking noise from the CV joint. The sound can be heard inside the car and is rotational in that it stops when the vehicle is stationery.

Vehicle mileage is 77000

Jack that wheel off the ground.

Firmly grasp the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock. Push in on the top and pull out on the bottom of the tire. It should not move at all. If you can here any faint clucking, or if the wheel feels like it jiggles, there is a good chance the wheel bearing is shot. That can cause a growl type of noise.

Does the noise pitch increase with vehicle speed?

steviej

Jack that wheel off the ground.

Firmly grasp the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock.  Push in on the top and pull out on the bottom of the tire.  It should not move at all.  If you can here any faint clucking, or if the wheel feels like it jiggles, there is a good chance the wheel bearing is shot.  That can cause a growl type of noise.

Does the noise pitch increase with vehicle speed?

steviej

I think you do the samething for balljoints?

correct, it can be done that way to.

on balljoints, we usually use a long (5ft-7ft) crow bar and put it under the wheel, then pry.

The trick is to feel where it is clucking and hear where it is clucking. Sometimes you need a second set of ears and eyes right next to the wheel hub or ball joint.

steviej

Find a curvy road (or big empty parking lot). Drive at about 30 MPH through the curves. If you have a bad wheel hub bearing then there will be noticably more noise when making right hand turns than left hand turns or vice versa.

I

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2000 RX300 I had just made a right hand turn and increased my speed to 30mph when there was a loud explosion from front and then the left side dropped and pulled me towards the left into oncoming traffic. I managed to force the car to the right missing a Semi. Getting out of the car the front left wheel was disconnected from the ball joint and the axel was pulled out of the transmission.

Appears thatthe BALL JOINT FAILED. an issue lexus has had in past models.

Of course my car just happens to be out of the 4 year warrenty but still has power train. This car as 60K on the clock. Lexus denies that the ball joint failed and that I have now to foot the bill for nearly $6K for repairs to transmission all for a $50 ball joint.

Has anyone else had these problems?

post-19409-1122567444_thumb.jpg