93 Es 300 Overheating Have Questions

i have a 93 es 300 and just recently my car has overheated.i noticed that the hose that runs from my radiator to my coolant tank broke so i had to buy another hose from the lexus dealership.i thought that was the problem because there are no obvious leaks but the car still overheats when i step on the gas the check light comes on.The meter also skyrockets pass the red line on the thermostat and when i lift up the hood my coolant is boiling out of the tank and smoke comes from the radiator cap.I forgot to mention that the fan which cools the engine is working too so i cant figure out whats the problem.I have a quick question that needs to be answered would it be safe to put engine coolant inside the radiator? because i have done that before didnt know if it was safe to do so or not.

You can put fluid in, but you don't need to open the radiator for two, or three hours after it's been run. It will blow pressureized steam out.

Start with the CEL. Bridge TE1 and E1 with a wire and count the flashes.

With the car idling, bridge OP1 and E1 and make sure the hydraulic fan goes to it's fast speed.

It's OK to put OEM coolant into an engine that has been left to cool for a couple of hours, add coolant before this and you risk seriously damaging the alloy block and cylinder heads.

If this is the original radiator it may well be blocked internally. If you look through the radiator you may find the cooling fins are blocked with road debris which will drastically effect the cooling effect of the radiator. Have the cooling system pressure tested and checked for blockages. Is the oil Ok? if the head gasket has failed you may see water in the oil.

Good Luck

David O'C

It's OK to put OEM coolant into an engine that has been left to cool for a couple of hours, add coolant before this and you risk seriously damaging the alloy block and cylinder heads.

What if i added 1/2 a can of prestone into my car after a 5 minute drive to a near by Advanced Auto Parts? Would that damage the engine or cause any short term or long term effects, even if not apparent to the naked eye?

I did this about 3 weeks ago, when i noticed my car didn't have a drop of coolant in it. :blink: