Removing Egr Valve In 1996 Es300

My check engine light is on and the code reads it is a faulty EGR flow. I would like to remove the EGR valve and clean it and the passeage way out with carb cleaner before buying a new valve. Problem is it is screwed on from inside the valve and I see no way of how to unscrew it. Is there a special tool required? Can anyone please lend any advice on this? I would really appreciate the help very much. Thank you.

My check engine light is on and the code reads it is a faulty EGR flow.  I would like to remove the EGR valve and clean it and the passeage way out with carb cleaner before buying a new valve.  Problem is it is screwed on from inside the valve and I see no way of how to unscrew it.  Is there a special tool required?  Can anyone please lend any advice on this?  I would really appreciate the help very much.  Thank you.

Thank you very much for the reply. I did indeed take the three bolts loose but I could not get the egr valve off the egr pipe in order to clean it good. How do I get the egr valve off the egr pipe? This is my problem. Thank you again for your help.

It's been so long since I ditched it from my car I don't exactly remember. :(

The EGR pipe is held into the rear exhaust manifold by a JIC compression fitting. That EGR pipe snakes up through a "block" that runs under the upper intake that is water cooled (most people thing the throttle body is cooled, actually it's not, the coolant flows through the EGR to cool it down, and exits the throttle body).

The EGR "block" dumps the exhaust into the bottom of the intake manifold (in a seperate chamber) that routes it to the EGR valve, then the rest is obvious. Valve controls the flow and routes it back into the upper intake manifold.

AFAIR there's nothing else to it. You take your bolts off, and pull the entire assembly off. It's a little exhaust gasket, I don't remember it being a silicon glue or anything (that would more than likely melt). The little actuators on top simply pul off.

It's been so long since I ditched it from my car I don't exactly remember. :(

The EGR pipe is held into the rear exhaust manifold by a JIC compression fitting. That EGR pipe snakes up through a "block" that runs under the upper intake that is water cooled (most people thing the throttle body is cooled, actually it's not, the coolant flows through the EGR to cool it down, and exits the throttle body).

The EGR "block" dumps the exhaust into the bottom of the intake manifold (in a seperate chamber) that routes it to the EGR valve, then the rest is obvious. Valve controls the flow and routes it back into the upper intake manifold.

AFAIR there's nothing else to it. You take your bolts off, and pull the entire assembly off. It's a little exhaust gasket, I don't remember it being a silicon glue or anything (that would more than likely melt). The little actuators on top simply pul off.

toysrme thanks for trying to help me but I guess this job is just more complicated than my skills. I know I have to remove the egr valve from the egr pipe in order to clean the passage way and unstick the valve if that is the problem. I still have no clue on how to remove the valve from the pipe to check the valve, guess I will just have to pay someone an ungodly amount of money to do something that is probably ridiculously easy to do. Thanks again for trying to help.

• 1 year later...

Golfnutt...I got to the same point as you and then got stuck...(got thre the nuts off)...did you end up figuring it out or takin to shop spendign ungodly money...also have you attempted to take upper intake manifold off yet...same area required to do spark plugs number 4 5 6 ....contemplated it yesterda but too late at night...other than fsm wonder if someones got a duy for it and i just cant find it using search...ill post pic if get er done....

toysrme thanks for trying to help me but I guess this job is just more complicated than my skills. I know I have to remove the egr valve from the egr pipe in order to clean the passage way and unstick the valve if that is the problem. I still have no clue on how to remove the valve from the pipe to check the valve, guess I will just have to pay someone an ungodly amount of money to do something that is probably ridiculously easy to do. Thanks again for trying to help.

well its not taking em off its justgettin to emmy big pudgy fingers wont really fit in there...i read old threads andmost suggest taking off upper intake manifold....but that seems liek a bich but i need to just get over that hump i guess....

• 1 month later...