Changed Fluids

sha4000

i flushed my tranny using the oil cooler method took off the pan & filter cleaned both and replaced no shaving on the magnets it took 8 qts. of t-iv before the red stuff started to show. hooked everything back up and put and put 1 more qt. plus 1 pt. of dura lube treatment in warmed the car p and went through the gears everything was fine but when i checked the fluid level it was just below the hot line warmed up someand more & checked 3 more times same place no more t-iv so i was tempted to put some mobile1 synthetic atf in that was left over from the power stering flush but didnt out of fear(mainly from posts in the forum)the dealer isnt open till monday so what are my options?im glad i did the flush because the stuff that came out looked brownish red. i also flushed the ps fluid by removing the inlet hose of the reservoir until the color changed it took a little more than a qt. the stuuf that came out was also brown i drained the engine oil removed the pan and cleaned it no sludge in it(pan was real clean also)the oil was real dark after only a month and a half and 974 miles so please dont use mobile clean 5000 its garbage it surprised me that both pans were clean being that both fluids looked filthy i also took the maf out and sprayed b-12 chemtool in it since its not really accessible(hope i wasnt in violation) then i cleaned and armoraled all the covers removed the battery and did a pretty decent scrub job in the engine with soap and water and replaced everything whe i cranked my car the vsc & engine light was on because i was running it without the airbox but i have a scantool so i can clear it i started at 2 and finished at 9 with the help of 2 friends and real long breaks

If the fluid level on the dipstick is closer to the Hot mark than the Cool mark then you are OK. No need to add more fluid because the fluid level will likely get all the way up to Hot when the transmission is truly hot (fluid too hot to touch) like during rush hour traffic type conditions.

However if the fluid level is about midway between the Cold and Hot marks you should buy another quart of Type T and add a bit more. It's easy to overfill so add only about 1/4 quart at a time.

If the fluid level on the dipstick is closer to the Hot mark than the Cool mark then you are OK.  No need to add more fluid because the fluid level will likely get all the way up to Hot when the transmission is truly hot (fluid too hot to touch) like during rush hour traffic type conditions.   

However if the fluid level is about midway between the Cold and Hot marks you should buy another quart of Type T and add a bit more.  It's easy to overfill so add only about 1/4 quart at a time.

but can i do any driving until tomorrow if its a little low and i thought the trany took 8.8qts. i put 9 in plus a pint of dura lube tranny trreatment

I think you might be able to drive today. When I flushed mine I didint add enough and it was slipping when it was cold bu twhen it warmed up it seemed fine. I aded ~2.5 liters and it was fine. I'd say drive it but be careful.

Glad to see everythign went smooth for you. Id love to do the PS fluid on mine and brake fluid to.

thanks

I think you might be able to drive today. When I flushed mine I didint add enough and it was slipping when it was cold bu twhen it warmed up it seemed fine. I aded ~2.5 liters and it was fine. I'd say drive it but be careful.

Glad to see everythign went smooth for you. Id love to do the PS fluid on mine and brake fluid to.

thanks

i think im ok because like monarch said after i drove to autozone to get another qt. of mobile1 engine oil and checked the tranny again it was all the way to the top hot line the ps was due because i was getting a little noise when i was turning but now its smooth as silk and no noise i just finished draining all the break fluid filling back up and then bleeding and now my master cylinder is much clearer

Very cool! We were gonna do the brakes on my Aunts van today when we realized we forgot the socket set D'OH!! : ). We live pretty far away so my cousins husband is gonna do it. I should really do the brakes on the 96. I have never bleed them before so i am a little scared....

thanks

my brakes seem a little soft does anyone know if you have too bleed the actuator also to make sure all the air is out you need a pressure something to put over the master cylinder which of course i dont have