Rx400h Front License Plate Mounting

My brother just purchased a 400h yesterday. After driving the vehicle home 3 1/2 hours in the rain, we washed it and noticed there was no mounting bracket for the front license plate. There are two dimples on the front bumper.

I emailed our salesman and asked him what the deal was. He said the dealer has to mount the front license plate if the customer so requests. To have this done, my brother will have to go out of his way and drive the car to a dealership about 30 minutes away in traffic, which is a pain. So, he's not happy about it.

What's the big deal?? How is the front plate mounted...two sheet metal screws??

By the way, we live in Texas and by law a front license plate is required on the vehicle or you can be ticketed.

Our dealership did this service for us before we picked up our RX. Shame on your dealership for not doing this in a state in which it is required.

My dealership installed it automatically also, but I would have preferred if they asked me before installing it. I'd probably have chosen to leave it off.

The license plate holder is a black plastic part with a flat front that is screwed into the bumper with 2 screws. The license plate then screws to the black plastic piece.

Ours RX400H also was delivered to us with the front license plate mounting installed. California requires a front plate too.

speedyg, what would you have used to mount the front plate if they hadn't installed it?

Ours RX400H also was delivered to us with the front license plate mounting installed. California requires a front plate too.

speedyg, what would you have used to mount the front plate if they hadn't installed it?

I wouldn't have mounted one :D Yes, legally I know we are supposed to have a license plate in the front too, but I find it to be somewhat ugly and unaerodynamic. And maybe it blocks smooth airflow into the vechicle.

My BMW doesn't have a license plate mounted in front either. And I notice that quite a few vehicles on the road don't have one either. I don't think the police care very much about it, they have other priorities.

I wouldn't have mounted one :D Yes, legally I know we are supposed to have a license plate in the front too, but I find it to be somewhat ugly and unaerodynamic. And maybe it blocks smooth airflow into the vechicle.

My BMW doesn't have a license plate mounted in front either. And I notice that quite a few vehicles on the road don't have one either. I don't think the police care very much about it, they have other priorities.

I know a couple of guys who were ordered to install front plates. Generally, if you are over 40, you are less likely to be pulled over for something as silly as a missing front plate.

I don't mind the Rx400H front plate. I hate the front plate position on my Camry. It hangs down below the front bumper so it acts as a "feeler" for the curb when I pull straight in.

My car came with the license plate holder mounted. I didn't have to, but they later installed the license plates when they arrived. I have the advantage of living 7 minutes from the dealer.

I would make the dealer come get the car, take it in, put the holder on, and bring it back.

Steve, excellent idea!!! Or, they could send a technician down from the dealer where the vehicle was purchased--3 1/2 hour drive one way--and let him install it and then drive back 3 1/2 hours!! Wouldn't that be a hoot??

The salesman told me via email that they would be happy to install it next time he was in Dallas or he could take the vehicle to any Lexus dealership and have it done. I don't think a 7-hour drive for a 5-minute service is cost effective. :censored::censored::censored: