Rx400h Oil Filter

My brother purchased an RX400h on July 1. Got it in Dallas. Several on the lot. This is first Lexus we have had in our family so please pardon my ignorance.

Planning ahead...does anyone know if the RX400h will use the same oil filter as the RX330?? If so, is it only available at a Lexus or Toyota dealer. Also, if he changes the oil and filter himself or has it changed by someone other than a Lexus dealer AT THE RECOMMENDED INTERVALS, will doing so affect his warranty??

As I said, we have never had a Lexus in our family before so please pardon my ignorance.

Just changed the oil on my RX400h (1500 miles) and I was told by the Roseville Lexus Delaer that the oil filters are the same as those for the RX330 and may be purchased from Lexus, Toyota or online. Toyota Part Number 08922-02011.

Just changed the oil on my RX400h (1500 miles) and I was told by the Roseville Lexus Delaer that the oil filters are the same as those for the RX330 and may be purchased from Lexus, Toyota or online. Toyota Part Number 08922-02011.

KMKE...thanks for the post.

I'm curious why you changed the oil at only 1500 miles, what oil you used and who did the work (you or dealer)?? Many thanks.

My dealer will change the oil for the first time free of charge at 5000 miles. Many years ago, it was common practice to change oil after 500 miles, but that practice is not necessary anymore unless the local garage rebuilds your engine (not recommended).

I plan to do a 1,000 to 1,500 oil change initially, its just a habit i have with new vehicles, also i have had cars with improper fluid levels from the factory that were adjusted at those early oil changes. I know its not necessary however it gives me piece of mind.

My dealer will change the oil for the first time free of charge at 5000 miles. Many years ago, it was common practice to change oil after 500 miles, but that practice is not necessary anymore unless the local garage rebuilds your engine (not recommended).

When the dealer does the FREE 5,000 mile service, what oil will they use?? Toyota sythetic?? Toyota dino?? Who knows?? Bring your own synthetic, e.g. Mobil 1??

When the dealer does the FREE 5,000 mile service, what oil will they use?? Toyota sythetic?? Toyota dino?? Who knows?? Bring your own synthetic, e.g. Mobil 1??

I will make sure that they use only what is recommended in the owner's manual. I doubt that Toyota would think kindly of any dealership that violates the Toyota's own requirements, especially those relating to potential warranty issues.

BTW, I posted a warning to RX300 owners that they should use synthetic oil to prevent sludge buildup in their engines. However, as far as I know, this has not been an issue in RX330s (with essentially the same engine as is in our 400hs). I haven't decided on the oil I will use when I change it myself. (probably at around 10,000 miles - we'll see).

KMKE...thanks for the post.

I'm curious why you changed the oil at only 1500 miles, what oil you used and who did the work (you or dealer)?? Many thanks.

Always replace oil after first 1000 to 2000 miles - just a habit. Used Castrol GTX - did the oil change myself.

Toyota is gradually phasing out the #08922-02011 oil filter for the ES & RX V6's and replacing it with a 90915-YZZD1.  There's nothing wrong with the #08922-02011. Either oil filter will work fine.

Once it's decided which oil to use, is it best to stick with the Toyota filter?? Any experience with the Mobil 1 oil filter if using Mobil 1 oil???

We have never had a Lexus in our family before. So, I have no knowledge of how picky the dealers are. I don't want do anything that would give the dealer any reason to use the words "your warranty is invalidated because you used a non-OEM oil filter."

My salesman told me at the first oil change, service, that is no charge, they will be using a synthetic blend, most likely Quaker State 4x4 oil. I use this oil in two other vehicles, it has cut oil consumption by half in an older Ford V8 truck. Since it is a blend of regular oil it can be changed over from conventional at any time unlike full synthetic. I do not work for any oil company btw, however its been a good product for me, and I like the extra lube features of the synthetic especially for this crazy vehicle that starts and stops so frequently.

My salesman told me at the first oil change, service, that is no charge, they will be using a synthetic blend, most likely Quaker State 4x4 oil.  I use this oil in two other vehicles, it has cut oil consumption by half in an older Ford V8 truck.  Since it is a blend of regular oil it can be changed over from conventional at any time unlike full synthetic.  I do not work for any oil company btw, however its been a good product for me, and I like the extra lube features of the synthetic especially for this crazy vehicle that  starts and stops so frequently.

Full synthetic may be changed over to petroleum-based at any time.

Toyota is gradually phasing out the #08922-02011 oil filter for the ES & RX V6's and replacing it with a 90915-YZZD1.  There's nothing wrong with the #08922-02011. Either oil filter will work fine.

Once it's decided which oil to use, is it best to stick with the Toyota filter?? Any experience with the Mobil 1 oil filter if using Mobil 1 oil???

We have never had a Lexus in our family before. So, I have no knowledge of how picky the dealers are. I don't want do anything that would give the dealer any reason to use the words "your warranty is invalidated because you used a non-OEM oil filter."

I asked my dealership about replacing the oil and air filters..they said stick with toyota/lexus products or if your car breaks, they'll point the finger at your filter and your SOL!

I asked my dealership about replacing the oil and air filters..they said stick with toyota/lexus products or if your car breaks, they'll point the finger at your filter and your SOL!

As has been discussed many times, they can't point the finger at someone else's filter or say "invalidate your warranty." To do so is a violation of federal law but please let's not go there. :lol: