Failed Emissions

93 es300 lexus with 200,000 failed the CO part of the test (twice). all others well within limits.

midas tested it the second time also after they did a diag. and fuel system clean ($217). had higher CO after the so called fuel system clean. don't know if they cleaned the throttle body or not. they said that they would. Said F*CK midas and went somewhere nearby(independent).

They did a diag. but didn't retest it first. said they are 90% sure i have 3 clogged injectors. i

always used injector cleaner every 3000 or when i went on a trip. said i was looking at least

at a $800 repair. i'm from connecticut and they have been having so many emissions issues.

they switched to all independent testing. i never had a problem before this. that 10% of doubt is

going to *BLEEP* me off because midas said i shouldn't have a problem on the second test. should

i just have another retest somewhere else and pay the $20 and hope i pass? any help would be great!

Hi there buddy, I have a 92 ES300 and also failed the CO part emissions test...however, I took it to a mechanic whom my family goes to often, and he did about $200 in service, and claimed he did about $400 on the receipt, afterwards, took the receipt to the emissions testing station (ohio emissions testing, so rules may be different) and they gave me a waiver good for two years. I guess there is a rule that if you spend enough money on the problem and it doesnt get fixed, they waive it? Worked out well for me, maybe you can try the same thing. Good luck!

Keep in mind... There may never be emessions testing in Alabama, and I've never been tested in my life - so what do I know?

To start with.

If you had 3 clogged injectors. The car wouldn't run worth a crap...

Fuel testing is easy. Warm the car up to temperature, put the transmission into 1 and wide open throttle until the engine *won't* spin any faster, or until you hit the ignition cut-off.

The ignition cut-off on the A/T's is between 7000-7100rpm. The simple fact, is that all the stock v6 pumps struggle to flow 220hp worth of fuel at high fuel pressure (it's only 192hp at the some 30-35odd psi at high vacuum/low throttle). If there is any fuel restriction, or problem. That engine will bog like crazy between 5200-ignition cut.

If it can pull the car in first gear above 6850rpm, in my opinion, you don't have any fuel system problems & should tell them where to shove it.

To much fuel is the normaly cause of CO, but I *highly* doubt this is the problem in your case.

A 200,000 mile, 13 year old car - Dude... Two obvious problems:

1) That cat-convertor more than likely ceased functioning a couple years back. Get the cat replaced.

2) Replace the o2 sensors... Denso designed to last 90,000-120,000 miles. They don't have to be expencive Toyota parts. Get them replacement off the internet and take them somewhere to install. ($25-35 instead of 60-90 if you look around enough) You can install the front o2 sensor easily with a 12mm socket - The rear is the same, but... You better have a long arm under the car, or take the upper intake manifold off from the top.

A fun trick for anyone in the future that needs help passing nox. The EGR is controlled by vacuum, not the ECU. ;) You can swap the EGR vacuum controls all to run off the Vacuum port marked E on the top of the throttlebody. That way at low throttle, the EGR is flowing maximum.

Mechanical systems are neat. ;)