Leather's Getting Hard

Hey, I'm pretty new and have been searching on this forum for anyone who has the same problem I have but I had no luck. I have a 1993 Sc400 and the leather is getting cardboard hard on the rear seats headrest. Its even getting wrinkled and textured looking. No rips or tears though. I did find that lexol helps out on this forum but its been a week of using it and its still hard.

You might want to try Connolly Hyde Food. I've been using it on my vehicles as well as on the leather furniture in our home since the mid-1980s, and I think it's still the best leather preservative on the market but it's damn hard to find here. The good news is that when I can finally locate the product, one jar lasts me for about ten years. Because it's made in England, it can sometimes be found at Jaguar and Rolls Royce dealerships but be prepared to pay $30 or $40 per jar.

We have two contemporary leather chairs in our den that are over 20 years old and they still look and feel showroom-new. I attribute that to my use of Connolly Hyde Food on the leather two or three times a year from the time we brought those chairs over from Denmark.

Recommended products-

•Urethane Coated Leather- use Groit's Leather Care or Zanio Z-10 Leather in a bottle

•Vinyl or MB-Tex Covered leather- use Groit's Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean

Note: Lexus LS430 and SC430 have uncoated leather. All Lexus made before the 2001-2004 revamp have coated leather. Mercedes-Benz have a Premium Leather Package (top grain hide, use Leatherique or Connolly Hide Care) coated leather and MB-Tex (Vinyl)

Note: Connolly Leather Hide Care, this product may not be compatible with covered leather and could damage the urethane.

JonM

RX in NC- The Hide Food is a great product but like TOG said mostly best for uncoated leathers. Your RX has coated leather, not sure about your furniture (probably uncoated). My ES for example has an uncoated leather, the regency hides Lexus began using in 2001ish are uncoated.

SW03ES,

Maybe I'll post some pictures of my Ram custom leather sometime when I finally get industrious with my wife's digital camera (I'll always be a 35mm guy, sorry).

In the meantime, the custom leather kit came from a California company called Katzkin Leather Interiors in December 2000. It's dark graphite to match my graphite interior (the exterior is Bright White) and it's very elegant and yet understated as well - no two-tones or contrasting stitching for me, thank you. I found the product through a little research and had it installed by a great interior shop that I've been doing business with for more than 20 years. Those guys are true craftsmen and they are the only ones I'll trust our interiors and convertible tops to besides myself.

Katskin makes a nice leather set. I know how you feel about the digital cameras, I know a lot of people that still stick by 35mm as delivering a better picture.