A/c Compressor Rebuild

:cries:

I believe my A/C compressor bearing is going south. It loads down the engine and the clutch will only stay engaged for ~ 5 secs. Then, the dreaded flashing A/C light.

Has anyone rebuilt one?

Any tutorials?

Any pics?

What is the bearing Part Number?

Any info would be appreciated.

teelias@hotmail.com

My understanding and experience is that mechanically, the Toyota (Denso) compressor itself is capable of lasting 40 years / 500,000 miles as long as it never runs low on refrigeration oil due to a severe refrigerant leak (the oil circulates with the refrigerant in the system) However, the magnetic clutch that's attached to the compressor may fail after 150-300,000 miles and is replacable without even discharging the system of refrigerant.

Denso compressors may also develop refrigerant seal leaks if the owner neglects to run the system at least once a month throughout the year. In that case the solution is to buy a compressor reseal kit from a Toyota dealer and tear down the compressor and install new 0-ring seals.

I don't know of any tutorials that cover any of this. I just know millions of Toyota compressors are prematurely replaced when all they really need are new seals or a new magnetic clutch.

• 2 weeks later...
:cries:

I believe my A/C compressor bearing is going south. It loads down the engine and the clutch will only stay engaged for ~ 5 secs. Then, the dreaded flashing A/C light.

Has anyone rebuilt one?

Any tutorials?

Any pics?

What is the bearing Part Number?

Any info would be appreciated.

teelias@hotmail.com

I had the same symptoms and needed to replace it as it was totally trashed. When the clutch comes on the compressor should turn. If it doesn't it's trashed. Another way of checking it is to turn it by hand. It should turn freely. Make sure your not turning a disengaged clutch by putting a socket on the bolt that holds the clutch to the compressor. You'll need to remove the serpentine belt for this test.

Good luck!