A Trip To Remember........

Well. we learned a bunch of things after taking a trip up the coast of California these past four days. First off, I decided to check tire pressure as part of some customary pre-trip safety checks. Lo and behold, every tire's pressure was up around 38 psi! Apparently, the dealership (or factory) had cranked up the pressure well beyond what is recommended by the factory (32 psi). Here I was for the last two months wondering why the ride was about the same as that of my Corvette! If I hadn't checked, I would probably be complaining of short tire life in the near future!

Note to forum members: Check your tire pressure!

Anyway, on the way out of Solvang and over to the famous Hearst Castle, we actually saw a white RX400h. When it passed us, the passenger waved and we exchanged thumbs-up. The RX400h greeting exchange lives! After driving hundreds and hundreds of miles, I noticed that tthree things stand out:

1) Dang, this thing has huge reserves of passing power. Jeep Cherokie owners appeared shocked when their attempt to rocket by me was met with a weird roar from the electric motors, followed by neck-snapping acceleration, propelling the RX past them as if they were in mere econocars.

2) The drivers seat could use more lower back and lateral support. (Hey, I'm used to a seat that is nearly perfect ergonomically)

3) I can't help laughing every time the RX startles a bystander who just cannot perceive a moving SUV that makes no sound at all! I find myself searching for groupes of people to shock (Am I getting mean or what?).

Sadly, the trip home included an unfortunate event. While waiting for my turn to fuel up at a gas station near Bakersfield, some guy in a pickup decided that he was going to squirt his vehicle backwards out of a stall without fully accessing the number of vehicles waiting in back of him. I noticed that his path suddenly changed from straight-back to coming at my RX. I quickly went to place the gear selector into reverse, but it was too late. He plowed into my front right bumper. ($1000 worth of damage). He promptly went on to ask me why I didn't get out of his way! I was pretty upset, to say the least.

If we overlook the last part of the trip, I'd have to say that I came away very impressed with the Rx and happy to have seen so many beautiful sights. Now where's that dent-straightening sledge hammer..........

Thats a shame, hope you get it fixed properly quick!

As for the tire pressure, they ALWAYS do that. I've had them air tires as high as 50psi before, when the factory pressure is 29.

ouch, sorry to hear that. if it's only the bumper, it's not that bad. At least everyone's ok, that's the main thing. ;)

haha, i find that amusing when you say that people are surprised to see an SUV moving w/o hearing the engine. :lol:

Thats a shame, hope you get it fixed properly quick!

As for the tire pressure, they ALWAYS do that. I've had them air tires as high as 50psi before, when the factory pressure is 29.

I called three Lexus dealerships to ask who they recommended to fix body damage. One uses the local Chevy dealership body shop, another, a nearby Mercedes body shop, and the third, a brand new Toyota collision center. When we stopped by the Toyota center, there was an identical Bamboo Pearl RX400h sitting in the shop bay. It still had dealers plates, a tow hitch and a scrape in its rear bumper. Unfortunately, the soonest we they can take our Rx in is in two weeks.

Regarding tire pressure, could it be that the dealership wants its customers to achieve higher-than-normal gas milage by cranking up the tire pressure? The ride did improve noticably after I lowered the pressure.

ouch, sorry to hear that. if it's only the bumper, it's not that bad. At least everyone's ok, that's the main thing.
Yes, it could've been far worse; on the way back, some guy almost plowed into us on the highway as he was crossing lanes without looking. I had to slam on the brakes harder than I ever have - scary!
haha, i find that amusing when you say that people are surprised to see an SUV moving w/o hearing the engine.

The funniest one was at a gas station in Solvang. A guy was talking to the attendant and when the attendant pointed to our vehicle, the guy who had his back turned to us jumped as he turned his head to see this large vehicle heading toward him. :lol:

No the reason they over inflate the tires is because they're stupid. Car repair places always do that.

The Toyota collision center quoted us $1100 vs. $669 from the Mercedes collision center. The main difference is that the Mercedes center doesn't think we need a new fog light. I tend to agree, but I'll let the claims adjuster discuss that with the Toyota guy who gave us the quote. In the meantime, the owner of the truck that hit us is claiming that somehow it was my fault! :blink:

Good luck! Hopefully, that gas station had a camera that might have recorded what happened. I never want that to happen to me--little chance. In NJ they pump the gas for you.

I didn't have that experience, but I dealt with those tiny hotel garages in Philadelphia. You have to leave the valet key and they keep moving it. I was always worried. The afternoon we were supposed to leave my husband noticed a nail in my tire! Needless to say, we weren't going to drive 2 hours with that nail. I had him call the 800 Lexus number, which was on my OLD keyring, and they had it fixed by the time I was done attending NECC. The next day my Lexus dealer repaired the now spare. (Since the wheels and tires are the same they figured I should keep the repaired tire as a spare. Also, the car was so new it didn't even have license plates yet.)

Just about one year ago, we picked up a huge nail in our van's front tire. Luckily though, we haven't had a flat in 8 years.

Regarding the gas station camera - would they simply send us a copy of the footage? I would guess that only the police could get ahold of this but it probably wouldn't hurt to try. I'll give the gas station a call tomorrow. I do have pictures, but with Photoshop and other powerful programs, there may be questions by the other inserance adjuster as to whether they are unaltered.

Thanks for the advice!

The insurance adjuster won't give you a hard time. They're trained and from the look of the damage and your pictures he'll know who was at fault. It will cost the insurance company a LOT more to go to court, they'll just have your car fixed and hike his premiums and make money on the deal.

The gas station cameras may be set up to overwrite the old recordings with new recordings so your incident may be long gone from them. I agree with SWE that the damage may tell the story.

Just in case, did you get any witness names? Even if you didn't, the attendent may remember the incident.

LexRexBlue, I don't see how them pumping the gas for you would have affected this accident. If I understand correctly, he was waiting to pull up to a pump.

The gas station cameras may be set up to overwrite the old recordings with new recordings so your incident may be long gone from them. I agree with SWE that the damage may tell the story.

Just in case, did you get any witness names? Even if you didn't, the attendent may remember the incident.

LexRexBlue, I don't see how them pumping the gas for you would have affected this accident. If I understand correctly, he was waiting to pull up to a pump.

Unfortunately, by the time we exchanged information, all of the cars who were either pumping gas or waiting, had left the scene. My claims adjuster told me that in almost every case where one vehicle is backing up and hits another vehicle, the vehicle that is moving is at fault. The only exception may be if the stationary vehicle is illegally parked.

SW,

We're hoping this is the case. I will be talking to the other guy's claim adjuster tomorrow and should be able to tell whether she actually believes the inaccurate version the other driver had given her.