Problems With Braking

Grandpa

Ok, been a while since I've posted but recently my 1992 LS 400 has been toying with me =(. The problem is whenever I brake, the car shakes, and it's not like your usual warped rotor where it's a nudge, when I break it's almost like it's forcing me forward, the entire car pulses. It almost feels as if it's the anti-lock brake feeling (that type of pulsation). Now, I was wondering how much a pair of rotors for a 1992 LS 400 SHOULD cost, and if I were to take it up to a mechanic, how much I should expect for them to charge + labor for changing my two front rotors.

Thanks guys

Ok, been a while since I've posted but recently my 1992 LS 400 has been toying with me =(. The problem is whenever I brake, the car shakes, and it's not like your usual warped rotor where it's a nudge, when I break it's almost like it's forcing me forward, the entire car pulses. It almost feels as if it's the anti-lock brake feeling (that type of pulsation). Now, I was wondering how much a pair of rotors for a 1992 LS 400 SHOULD cost, and if I were to take it up to a mechanic, how much I should expect for them to charge + labor for changing my two front rotors.

Thanks guys

I have the same issue on my 92 LS400. I just priced new front rotors at NAPA for $40.00 retail each, about $20.00 each if you get the garage price. There are two screws which mount the rotor to the hub and typically neanderthals beat them up. Have access to an impact driver or a set of easy outs when you start. You have to unbolt the caliper and pad assembly to remove, but this is easily a 30 minute a side do-it-yourselfer.

I don't know much about the brake system, but I thought Lexus used the rotor assembly that is more expensive and is actually part of the axle, i forget what that type of rotor is called... but i know it can cost $150 a piece... but this pulsation isn't a small one it'll actually jerk you forward a litte, not a little nudge

I measured my rotors with a dial indicator and they are out of spec by .0020. At 60 mph, if you romp on the brakes, it will throw you out of the car. Rotors must be true to eliminate that vibration. Sorry it's not more complicated than that and that was also my experience years ago in the brake repair business. Both front and rear rotors on this model mount the same way.

The Lexus service manuals are also an excellent source of information and I have saved far more than the $200 cost many times. Good luck!

There are several rotors for sale on ebay, from oem to brembo, and anywhere from $50 a pair to $300, depending on what you want to spend. I bought a full set (4) for my '90 LS, drilled, slotted and zinc plated, for $100 plus about $20 for shipping. Not the best rotors made, but more than adequate. I measured them before and after the plating wore off the working surface, and they are parallel within .0007".

I had a very similar problem with my 95 recently. I had new pads put on the front and had the rotors turned. That reduced the problem by about 90%. The rear pads are close to needed replacement soon.