What Are The Most Common Problems With Ls400?!?!?!

legend11

!!!!REQUESTED: RECOMMENDED MAINTAINANCE GUIDE

!!!!REQUESTED: MOST COMMON PROBLEMS GUIDE

I am new to LS400's and am trying to "jump on the bus" with the many experts in here. I have been searching for the past few hours and have not found a thread (unless I am completely out of it) on the most common problems for the LS400. It would be nice if someone could explain per year (or generation) problems that exist. I am on a search for the LS400 and it would be extremely helpful in the negotiating phase to see what has been or not been done to the car. This is what I have seem to see

1990-1994 (1st Generation)

-Power Steering Pump ???

-Needles on Instrument panel burn out

-AC stops working

-air suspension

-timing belt (like other cars)--should be included in recommended maintance

section

-water pump (like other cars)--should be included in recommended maintance

section

ANYThing Else??!?!? I am looking for older (1990-1994 1st generation LS's) so with the older cars comes higher mileage.

It would also be nice to get a "rough" cost to fix these issues and the severity of letting some slide. For instance, would letting the Power Steering Pump slide and not getting it fixed cause more problems in the long run. Obviously (I may be wrong), getting the AC fixed later on will only mean no cool air until it is fixed and no other problems will be cause due to not getting it fixed. I know if the timing belt is not done then the engine is shot (so I heard).

Please include relative maintanance that should be done as well; ie, timing belt, water pump etc... A maintanace guide would be nice to have as well. There is one on the Acura Legend forum for the Legend ( I am a former 2nd generation owner)

..... So I was hoping that this forum might contain a recommended maintance guide.. www.lexus.com was no help unfortunately.

Others future newbies, as well as me, would extremely appreciate having an elaborate thread on these issues.

I AM NEW :blushing: BUT READY TO JUMP ABOARD :pirate: AND TALK LS400 TALK :cheers:

Yeah, I saw that; That is an excellent starting point and I found the buying guides helpful especially as they were'nt a general used car buying guide like many of the used car buying guides out there. It was specifically written for the LS400! I just wished they had some more elaborate sections in there regarding maintanance and common problems. Just a really clear list. I saw the section where they were describing to some degree-year-to-year changes.

I mean, I guess I would wish the list was created for the "perfect" used LS400. For example, if you went to go look at a LS400 for a possible purchase, what expensive service/maintainance would have to have been done with receipts in order for the car to be "the one". I feel I may be passing a really good car up at the moment and wish I knew more on what exactly to look for as I am mechanically-stupid! :unsure:

Thanks for the fast response thought

Everything that requires repairs is 3x's more expensive at LEXUS dealer then "Joe" mechanic.

Timing belt 1200 or 400

Power SP 1200 or 500

Lights go dim in cold 1200 or 300 (Jim Walker)

Front end (Each side) 2000 or 1000 (complete replacement)

AC Compressor not sure (?1200 or 600?)

Right now I cant think of other issues..

For the most part where can you find an awesome car for less then 10k when all is said and done.. The car will last up to 300k by most estimates.. I LOVE MY LS!

Everything that requires repairs is 3x's more expensive at LEXUS dealer then "Joe" mechanic.

Timing belt                1200 or 400

Power SP                  1200 or 500

Lights go dim in cold    1200 or 300 (Jim Walker)

Front end (Each side)  2000 or 1000 (complete replacement)

AC Compressor          not sure (?1200 or 600?)

Right now I cant think of other issues.. 

For the most part where can you find an awesome car for less then 10k when all is said and done.. The car will last up to 300k by most estimates.. I LOVE MY LS!

Okay, never mind. I was aware of these types of things (exception of Light go dim and front end). I guess these cars are really reliable. It is tempting to go ahead and buy this car. 5900 is rather cheap I guess, but I will see what happens... I just don't want to be saying "I should have..." later down the line. Ofcourse this is a big deal for me as I have never went out on my own to buy an car. First tim buyer! :unsure: