How To Discharge A/c, Replace Expansion Valve

Hey group,

Tomorrow I plan on finally replacing my expansion valve.

I am looking for detailed instructions on how to get to the valve as well as a good way to discharge the freon before I work on it. R134a is environmentally friendly and since I am trying to save money doing this myself I plan on discharging the system myself and then bringing the car to the A/C shop after I have put the new valve in so they can vacuum and charge the system.

If anyone can assist me, please write back promptly. I hope to get this done in early afternoon. I meant to post earlier but have been very busy the last couple days (just bought a condo!).

Thanks!

Andy

Well I took apart some of the passenger side fan housing parts today and I found the refrigerant lines going into the car. Looks like they go behind the stereo. Is that where the valve and evaporator are? I don't want to tear that crap apart unless I really have to. Been there done that.

Andy

You cannot legally work on yoru own A/C system ,you need a proper purge system to do the work properly anyway.

Turns out my next door neighbor in my condo has an A/C machine and is certified. He said he's purge the system for me but I still need to know where the expansion valve is located. He doesn't have any books or info for this car either. Someone on here has to know.

I have the Mitchell on-demand stuff on cdrom which is frankly a waste of money.

Andy