93 Transmission Shifting Problem

bonez

Just picked up my 93 ES from a friend bout a month ago. The car drives really smooth and Im surprised how well it was kept for a 93.

I noticed something with how transmission shifts between gears though. While first driving off the engine shifts from 1st gear to 2nd gear at only 2000 rpms and then shifts to 3rd at about 2000/2500 rpms. The rare occasion when it shifts in a different way, the rpms go up to at least 4000 rpms before shifting to the 3rd gear. After ithe tranny shifts into 3rd gear the rpms drop to less than 2000 rpms and you can floor the gas but the car will hardly budge. You have to wait for a few seconds before the car starts going faster.

You could drive the car in 2nd gear and then shift it into drive after the rpms go up higher then 2000. But its not really a manual car to begin with, so that defeats the purpose.

With O/D off the car runs smoother without the shifting at low rpms. Guess thats probably expected here.

I could use some help here. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Transmission behavior can be affected by the tune up condition of the car. So if it were my car I'd first be sure clean, unworn Denso spark plugs are installed bearing the exact same Denso part# listed in the owners manual. Then I'd also clean the throttle plate of accumulated carbon and other goo. Next I'd make sure the transmission was filled with clean, red Dexron III auto trans fluid and I precisely measure the fluid level to make sure it isn't under or overfilled.

If the shifting wierdness persisted, I'd suspect at least one of the electronic shift control solenoids requires replacement (it's fairly routine for these to need replacing at roughly between 150-250K miles)

drove around for a bit and checked the tranny fluid. Cleared up the dipstick to make sure I got a good reading. Fluid is bout an inch above the HOT marker. It can't be picking up any fluid from the sides of the pipe, can it? Don't think that's a good thing though?

It might be. Check it cold too. ;) But yes, Too much transmission fluid will eventually damage some seals and the pump really doesn't care for the added fluid over time.

Yeah, I checked it cold this morning at it was still above the HOT marker. Probably have to get some it drained out. But would cause the shifting problem if theres TOO much fluid?

It might be. Check it cold too. ;) But yes, Too much transmission fluid will eventually damage some seals and the pump really doesn't care for the added fluid over time.

Yeah, I checked it cold this morning at it was still above the HOT marker. Probably have to get some it drained out. But would cause the shifting problem if theres TOO much fluid?

How do I do that? Or should I do a search?

ok guys, i dont know if i described the problem correctly. if i floor it off the start, the tranny shifts at about 2000 rpm and then into 3nd at 1800 rpm, 4th and overdrive at 1500 rpm. then it stays in overdrive no matter what i do with the accelerator. it acts the same way as if i had a manual and i would put it in 5th gear at a low speed of 30mph, and then floor it. it does NOT downshift to a lower gear. ive played around with my "throttle kick down" cable and i am NOT getting any response. is there something wrong with my ECU? or a solenoid?

sounds like your kick down is stuck

does the engien rev normally in neutral/park?

How would it be stuck? What could I do to fix it? The engine revs fine will in Neutral/park. Rpms go up nicely without any lag.