Rx400 And Two Way Radios

Can anyone from management find out if a two way amateur radio will interfere with the hybrid controllers in the 400? Power output up to 100 watts SSB

The RX330 has no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new owner.

The manual has a cautionary note about this issue. If you are interested I'll look it up. I'm going to be installing a rig in my RX400h as soon as possible.

My first effort is going to be an external mount of my two part radio, a TS-480SAT Kenwood. I'll put the head end front panel inside the car and use the stock Kenwood extension cables to the outside of the car where I'll mount the main box. I'll use a local, external, gell cell next to the main unit in a weatherproof box mounted on the trailer hitch. The trailer wiring is rated at 10 amps DC. I'll use that power to charge up the gell cell. With this design all RF power will be external to the autos metal body. The only electrical signals inside the car will be audio and digital control signals.

My main concern will be how to mount the antenna so that it doesn't cause problems for the electronics.

Any suggestions, criticisms or ??

Ted, NX6C

Can anyone from management  find out if a two way amateur radio will interfere with the hybrid controllers in the 400?  Power output up to 100 watts SSB

Hi Ted, seems I posted my reply incorrectly.

Anyway, mounted the Low band antenna on a rear Wag Bar.

Mounted the UHF-VHF on the rear door.

If you need pictures I can provide them.

Not one hole drilles BTW.

I do hear lots of ignition type noise from the injectors.

Hoping the radios will not cause and hybrid problems.

I listen 90% talk 5% anyway..

73's[

quote=tedpvhome,Jul 5 2005, 04:44 AM]

I'm a new owner.

The manual has a cautionary note about this issue. If you are interested I'll look it up. I'm going to be installing a rig in my RX400h as soon as possible.

My first effort is going to be an external mount of my two part radio, a TS-480SAT Kenwood. I'll put the head end front panel inside the car and use the stock Kenwood extension cables to the outside of the car where I'll mount the main box. I'll use a local, external, gell cell next to the main unit in a weatherproof box mounted on the trailer hitch. The trailer wiring is rated at 10 amps DC. I'll use that power to charge up the gell cell. With this design all RF power will be external to the autos metal body. The only electrical signals inside the car will be audio and digital control signals.

My main concern will be how to mount the antenna so that it doesn't cause problems for the electronics.

Any suggestions, criticisms or ??

Ted, NX6C

Can anyone from management find out if a two way amateur radio will interfere with the hybrid controllers in the 400? Power output up to 100 watts SSB

Yes, I would be interested in photos. In particular, how you got the cables from inside to the outside of the vehicle.

Interesting about the injector noise, I've not thought about mobile noise with modern cars.

Ted

The noise is pretty bad. Tried ferrite clamp on chokes on the injector wires and the coil triggers, but could only reach 3 of them. The other 3 are hidden behind the firewall.

Yes, I would be interested in photos.  In particular, how you got the cables from inside to the outside of the vehicle.

Interesting about the injector noise, I've not thought about mobile noise with modern cars. 

Ted

noise on FM UHF/VHF.

I'm concerned about the 12V system on the RX400h. 12V is used for accessories. It may be necessary to filter it with one of those giant capacitors that car audio installers use for extremely high power audio.

Did the chokes you add to three of the injector wires make any difference in the noise level?

Ted.

The noise is pretty bad. Tried ferrite clamp on chokes on the injector wires and the coil triggers, but could only reach 3 of them. The other 3 are hidden behind the firewall.
Yes, I would be interested in photos.  In particular, how you got the cables from inside to the outside of the vehicle.

Ted

No difference I can tell.

I use the DC powr jack in the rear, use a subwoofer and a farad capacitor,

Car radio runs for 3-4 seconds after I shut the car off.

noise on FM UHF/VHF. 

I'm concerned about the 12V system on the RX400h.  12V is used for accessories.  It may be necessary to filter it with one of those giant capacitors that car audio installers use for extremely high power audio. 

Did the chokes you add to three of the injector wires make any difference in the noise level?

Ted.

Ted

You did the perfect test for the 12V. We can forget about that possible problem for now.

how about the 3 chokes you added on the injector wires, did the radio noise change after you added them?

I'm trying to get a handle on the exact noise source.

No difference I can tell.

I use the DC powr jack in the rear, use a subwoofer and a farad capacitor,

Car radio runs for 3-4 seconds after I shut the car off.

noise on FM UHF/VHF. 

I'm concerned about the 12V system on the RX400h.  12V is used for accessories.  It may be necessary to filter it with one of those giant capacitors that car audio installers use for extremely high power audio. 

Ted.

Ted