Gx470 Or Srx?

89vette

Hi everyone. I am trying to decide between a GX470 or an SRX V6 AWD. My wife drives an Escalade now and I need a seven passenger car. The gas usage is getting old at 13 mpg average. I like the SRX but the interior quality and fit and finish are not very good. I really like the Lexus interior but am concerned over some of the reported problems like clunking and vibrations. I always owned GM vehicles (Cad, Chev, Hummer) and have had no major problems. I'm hoping someone here maybe went from an SRX to a GX and can give me some insight.

Thanks

you would probably get a good price on the SRX (with the employee discount) but the quality, fit and finish, and reliability of the SRX will not come close to the GX. even though my GX was a (i would say) "test run" with some problems, i just think "the other companies have more SEVERE problems than this". and yeah, if you plan to have people sitting in the 3rd row, make sure they are less than 3 feet tall (or shorter). little kids would be fine back there but i dunno about taller guys. ;)

I owned an 04 Cadillac CTS, before my 04 GX470. The CTS uses the same V6 engine, has the same interior, and is built on the same basic platform as the SRX.

My CTS experience was not very pleasent. I got it on 3/31/2004, and spent the next 3 months going back and forth between two dealers trying to get rid of all of the interior squeeks and rattles. As you mentioned, the interior quality and fit and finish are nowhere near Lexus levels. They offer a huge sunroof, called an ultra roof on the SRX, but I follow a few Cadillac forums, and almost all of them rattle too. The ones I test drove all did.

The 3.6 Liter V6 in the srx and CTS is a good engine. It has plenty of power and is a modern DOHC all aluminum design. However, it is NOT as smooth , quiet and refined as the V8 in the GX470. The fuel milage is not much better either. The SRX with the Northstar V8, gets worse milage then the GX with its V8.

In the SRX, run your hand along the top of the dash by the defroster vents under the windshield. You will feel the "oil can" effect there..it feels like its made of cardboard. You will never find that kind of cheapness in a Lexus.

Many awd SRX owners have also had a problem with a driveline thunk and backlash, much more severe that that experienced by some GX owners in this forum.

Another defect that effect many CTS and SRX vehicles, is a rear differential whine. My CTS developed that problem shortly after I got all of the squeeks and rattles taken care of. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and I traded it in on my Lexus.

I have had my GX470 now since 10/1/04, and in that time, nothing, and I do mean nothing, has gone wrong with it. Not one squeek or rattle, no thumps , no rear differntial whine, just quiet dependable, luxurious motoring.

You can get a good price now on an SRX...their are tons of them left on dealers lots, and the GM family pricing is attractive. I like the exterior looks of the SRX, and it has more sports car like handling, but those are its only advantages.

I had to make the same choice you are making now, back last fall..I chose the Lexus, and I am delighted with my choice every time I get into it, feel the solid quaility of the luxurious interior, and fire up that silky smooth Lexus V8.

I owned an 04 Cadillac CTS, before my 04 GX470. The CTS uses the same V6 engine, has the same interior, and is built on the same basic platform as the SRX.

My CTS experience was not very pleasent. I got it on 3/31/2004, and spent the next 3 months going back and forth between two dealers trying to get rid of all of the interior squeeks and rattles. As you mentioned, the interior quality and fit and finish are nowhere near Lexus levels.  They offer a huge sunroof, called an ultra roof on the SRX, but I follow a few Cadillac forums, and almost all of them rattle too.  The ones I test drove all did.

The 3.6 Liter V6 in the srx and CTS is a good engine. It has plenty of power and is a modern DOHC all aluminum design. However, it is NOT as smooth , quiet and refined as the V8 in the GX470.  The fuel milage is not much better either.  The SRX with the Northstar V8, gets worse milage then the GX with its V8.

In the SRX, run your hand along the top of the dash by the defroster vents under the windshield. You will feel the "oil can" effect there..it feels like its made of cardboard. You will never find that kind of cheapness in a Lexus.

Many awd SRX owners have also had a problem with a driveline thunk and backlash, much more severe that that experienced by some GX owners in this forum.

Another defect that effect many CTS and SRX vehicles, is a rear differential whine. My CTS developed that problem shortly after I got all of the squeeks and rattles taken care of. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and I traded it in on my Lexus.

I have had my GX470 now since 10/1/04, and in that time, nothing, and I do mean nothing, has gone wrong with it. Not one squeek or rattle, no thumps , no rear differntial whine, just quiet dependable, luxurious motoring.

You can get a good price now on an SRX...their are tons of them left on dealers lots, and the GM family pricing is attractive.  I like the exterior looks of the SRX, and it has  more sports car like handling, but those are its only advantages. 

I had to make the same choice you are making now, back last fall..I chose the Lexus, and I am delighted with my choice every time I get into it, feel the solid quaility of the luxurious interior, and fire up that silky smooth Lexus V8.

i did remember somebody trading in their CTS for a GX. I don't know a lot about the SRX and the CTS, but don't some of the parts in those cars look very similar to the Chevy cars?? I know that's for sure with the Escalade and kinda the H2s and H3s.

i did remember somebody trading in their CTS for a GX. I don't know a lot about the SRX and the CTS, but don't some of the parts in those cars look very similar to the Chevy cars?? I know that's for sure with the Escalade and kinda the H2s and H3s.

GM does share some parts among it's different brands, which is fine with me as long as the part belongs where they use it. The Escalade, for example is upwards of $60,000, and the dash in that is almost identical to the one I had in my 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up truck. They just slapped on a bit of fake wood.

That dash is fine in a chevy pickup, it is NOT acceptable in a $60,000 Cadillac.

When Toyota uses the same base for a model in the Toyota and Lexus lines, they do not do that. The dash of the GX470 is nothing like the one in the toyota 4runner.

The SRX, CTS, and STS are all built off of the GM Sigma platform, and share engines and drivetrains. They are all built in the same plant in Lansing Michigan.

I own an Escalade now that I bought new in 2002. So far the quality has been good with no real complaints. It has 36000 miles and is still a tight car. I do agree that the interior is high end Silverado and not what a $60K luxury SUV should be. The SRX is even worse IMO. I bet that is the biggest reason people are not buying this car is because on the cheesy interior.

A friend of mine that works for GM tells me GM is fully aware of their problems with interior quality and that we are going to start seeing big improvements starting with the new large SUV's that will debut in January 06 (Tahoe, Denali, Escalade).

I am, perhaps foolishly, emotionally attached to GM products. I love cars and feel I am abandoning GM at a time when they need support. On the other hand, I feel like they have had enough time to get things right or at least better than they are.

I guess the GX470 it is. Thanks again for the advice.

:cheers:

They just slapped on a bit of fake wood."

I'm no fan of GM but that statement is not true. All caddilacs use expensive Zebrano wood, more expensive than our maple wood on the GX.

any link with an exchange of money is veiwed as a buisness, please do not post it again.

Edited by SKperformance

They just slapped on a bit of fake wood."

I'm no fan of GM but that statement is not true.  All caddilacs use expensive Zebrano wood, more expensive than our maple wood on the GX.

I have an escalade brochure, and it mentions real wood trim on the stering wheel, but says nothing about the wood looking stuff on the dash. I asked over on the Escalade forum in a Cadillac site, and here is the responce I got.:

06-21-05, 08:08 PM #1

strindl

Cadillac Fan Join Date: Apr 2004

Posts per day: 0.58

Ownership: 04 blue chip CTS, Lux/sport pkg, Nav, GAVE UP AND TRADED IN ON AN 04 LEXUS GX-470

Is the dash trim real wood or fake wood?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question came up in another forum, and reading through the Escalade Brochure doesn't answer the question. I see where it says the steering wheel can be ordered with real wood trim, but makes no mention of the wood looking trim on the dash and the center stack. Is this real or fake?

strindl

View Public Profile

Send a private message to strindl

Find all posts by strindl

06-21-05, 08:32 PM #2

99 SKALAID

GOT 23' BAZO B4'S??? Join Date: Feb 2004

Posts per day: 0.69

Ownership: 99 white escalade

Re: Is the dash trim real wood or fake wood?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all fake......

or real, if you call simulated wood real

99 SKALAID

View Public Profile

Send a private message to 99 SKALAID

Visit 99 SKALAID's homepage!

Find all posts by 99 SKALAID

but i personally think they just put some "icing" on top of the chevy interiors to put on the expensive cadillacs. I think they should have designed it slightly different. The Toyota Prado and the GX are really similar in designs, but you could tell the small changes that looks rough on the Prado, but expensive looking on the GX. it may be hard to tell, but it's there. now i really don't know much about cadillacs, but could you be paying $60k for better insulation of the cabin??