Water Pump 92 Ls400

jdk_dan

My daughter's boyfreind has a 92 LS400 and water is shooting out of the top of the water pump. I have read through the forums, and it seems as though everyone talks about changing the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Is that required? I enjoy working on cars and have changed several water pumps, but I have never worked on a Lexus. And I cannot find a Chiltons or Haynes for this car. I want to try and save him some money, but don't want to get it torn apart and run into something that we have to get it towed and end up costing him more than if he had taken it to the shop in the first place. Is changing the water pump pretty straight forward, or is there some things that are tricky and require experience working on a Lexus. Also, he said his temp gauge is not working. I saw what looks like the temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing. It has two vaccum hose fittings that are broke. Is that the sending unit? If so, which hose goes on top and which one on the bottom. The vaccum hoses are there and plugged with screws. I appreciate any advice that anyone can provide. Thanks much in advance.

Dan

From what I have heard there is a gasket of some sort that breaks down in the water pump and it leaks..

I get the impression most people change timing belt about 100k and since they know the car is prone for a water pump leak they change both..

Good luck and I have seen those part for $60 timing belt and $250 power steering pump.. Lexus labor $1400, mechanic in the family $50-$100 and a case of beer.

Thanks to all of you. I guess I am gonna go for it starting Friday night. I work FRI-MON during the days, but will work on it at night, and maybe the boys can do some things during the day while I am at work. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Dan

Thanks to all of you.  I guess I am gonna go for it starting Friday night.  I work FRI-MON during the days, but will work on it at night, and maybe the boys can do some things during the day while I am at work.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Dan

If you are going to have help, I don't recommend doing the job in shifts, with one person removing parts, and another installing. Especially if it's the first time. It sounds like a surefire way to finish up with a jar-full of leftover bolts, etc. Alot of parts come off the car, in a particular order, and trying to remember what you -yourself took off in - what - order is hard enough. Take your time, and reduce distractions to a minimum.

Thanks to all of you.  I guess I am gonna go for it starting Friday night.  I work FRI-MON during the days, but will work on it at night, and maybe the boys can do some things during the day while I am at work.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Dan

If you are going to have help, I don't recommend doing the job in shifts, with one person removing parts, and another installing. Especially if it's the first time. It sounds like a surefire way to finish up with a jar-full of leftover bolts, etc. Alot of parts come off the car, in a particular order, and trying to remember what you -yourself took off in - what - order is hard enough. Take your time, and reduce distractions to a minimum.

Good point! I put a tranny in my son's Mazda MX3 a few months ago and I had about a dozen plastic cups that I labeled with where the bolts/nuts/etc came from. Believe it or not, I did not have any parts left over!! But this will definately be a new experience. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again. Dan

I use small cloth bags with draw-strings to save my fasteners, then tie the draw-string to the associated part. Available at McMaster-Carr in lots of 50 for dirt-cheap price, various sizes. Sounds like you got it covered!

John

Started the job tonight after work and was satisfied with the progress. I got to the point of removing the bolt from the crankshaft pulley. I had the timing mark lined up at "0" and both cam shafts lined up, but when I had the impact wrench on the crankshaft pulley, it move the pulley about a half a turn. Do I need to worry about getting it back on "0" before I take the pulley off? I appreciate your advice.

Dan