"check Engine Light + Trac Off" Indicators Are On

Hi,

I own a 2000 Lexus ES 300, for the past 1 month. It is driving smooth, no probs as of yet. But today, the engine check light + trac off light came on. I haven't pressed the trac off button yet, and the gas cap is tight as well. BTW it just rained, I mean it poured poured, so do you guys think it could be because of the weather, or there are some serious issues???

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Standard responce for when anyone states the their CEL and TRAC OFF lights are on:

Get the codes read and post them up. There are hundreds of code combinations that will illuminate these lights and no one can tell you what they are unless you have them pulled form memory.

lexus nationz: unfortunately, in TO, it seems no one pulls them for free. From experience, Canadian Tire wants $80 (canandian) to read them. PartsSource doesn't read them. You will have to find someone with an OBDII reader to pull them for free.

Too bad, Autozone and PepBoys in the states offer this FREE service.

steviej

Standard responce for when anyone states the their CEL and TRAC OFF lights are on:

Get the codes read and post them up.  There are hundreds of code combinations that will illuminate these lights and no one can tell you what they are unless you have them pulled form memory. 

lexus nationz:  unfortunately, in TO, it seems no one pulls them for free.  From experience, Canadian Tire wants $80 (canandian) to read them.  PartsSource doesn't read them.  You will have to find someone with an OBDII reader to pull them for free.

Too bad, Autozone and PepBoys in the states offer this FREE service.

steviej

How about if I take it to the Lexus dealer?

80 bucks just to read the code...that's insane...I'm sure autozone codes should work...

anyways...what could be the usual problem, hopefully not engine or transmission right...and does it get fixed usually?

getting the code read does not fix the problem. It only tells you where to start looking for the reason why the code appeared. Usually due to a bad or faulty signal from one of many sensors. Most commonly they are emissions related.

steviej

getting the code read does not fix the problem.  It only tells you where to start looking for the reason why the code appeared.  Usually due to a bad or faulty signal from one of many sensors.  Most commonly they are emissions related.

steviej

Got the code read yesterday at a Lexus dealer, they charged $65.00 just for reading the code. I got the code P0136, which means 02 sensor. But now I'm not getting the CEL + Trac Off lights on, does that mean they have just reset the lights? The sensors cost here $430.00 (including labor), do I still need to replace the sensors, or is it OK if I continue driving. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I dont want to spend another $430.00 plus taxes, they think Lexus owners are millionares ....

P0136 is for Bank 1 Sensor 2, this is the easiest A/F or O2 sensor to get at of all 4.

In this picture, the sensor in question is the spark plug looking one sticking out of the U shaped exhuast pipe. The wire goes up to a connector that is easy to undo with a very small screwdriver.

ATF_Change_004.jpg

You will need an O2 sensor socket, a long socket wrench (for leverage), some penetrating oil- liquid wrench works, and a small amount of time. The sensor can be had at Toyota for cheaper and can even be had on the web here at sparkplugs.com for $85.

Find a local independent, see if they will let you supply the part and they will put it in. Should take them less than an hour to do.

If you feel up to it, I can talk you through it or give you some typed instructions.

This one is wicked easy to do.

The CEL and TRAC light will stay on as long as the bad O2 sensor is there. No matter how many times you "reset" the ECU, the lights will come back. Replacement is inevitable. The light combination means the car is in limp mode.

Prolonged driving can do damage to other emissions related parts, especially the cat. Your gas mileage may suffer also.

steviej

steviej

[q

The CEL and TRAC light will stay on as long as the bad O2 sensor is there. No matter how many times you "reset" the ECU, the lights will come back. Replacement is inevitable. The light combination means the car is in limp mode.

Prolonged driving can do damage to other emissions related parts, especially the cat. Your gas mileage may suffer also.

steviej

steviej

Thanks steviej,

Since I got the code read, I'm not getting these lights ON, not sure if I still need to replace the O2 sensor, I have not noticed any driving difference yet...

your sensor is probably just lazy. Don't be surprised if it comes on again.

When the code was read by the dealer, they just reset it. Once the O2 sensor starts sending a faulty signal it will come back.

This happened to me recently on a trip to Toronto. The CEL come on and went away by itself. Two weeks later it came back, the next day it was gone....all on its own. I said, screw it and replaced the A/F sensor anyways.

steviej