I Did Half The Job Twice As Hard?

ED.

Well, this afternoon I decided to replace the new instrument cluster panel. I guess I didnt have the steering wheel as far down as it would go so I wasnt able to actually take it out. I replaced the whole panel while still behind the steering wheel. A difficult job but I was able to ge tit in with only a few casualties. I did disconnect the battery so no faults would trip. Here is how I did it..

Background: I have done this once before. I replaced some lights on the panel on my older seven series.I thought that job was eaiser because the wheel was of soo.

Tools: I used a #2 screwdriver from the tool kit in my 740. And a towel to keep from scratching the screen. Also, surgical gloves wouldnt bne abad idea now that I think about it. I bought abox of 100 for like 4 bucks at Harbor Freight. That is it. That one screwdriver alone was all you had to use for all the screws.

Step one. Lets look at the specimen. It is a 96 LS400. DSC00155.sized.jpg

Two. Remove the thre screws on the colum. Here is a pic of the right one. DSC00156.sized.jpg You'll have to start the car in order to get to these. Note-If you disconnect the battery like I ddi make sure you remove these first and make sure the seat/wheel are in the right position for your comfort.

Three. Here is a pic of the whole assembly removed. DSC00157.sized.jpgI took off th ebottom part to just for access. If you want to remove the windshield washer and headlight controllers. I removed the washer one just for access becuase my keys were ther. I should have taken my keys out though. D'OH!!

Four. Remove the dimmer switch and then grasp the black piece and pull strait out. DSC00157.sized.jpg Note the soreS on my hand. Dam BMW!! : )

Five. Here is the asssembly removed. DSC00160.sized.jpg

Six. Here is a close up of the screws. Left ones DSC00161.sized.jpg and right ones >

Seven. Place the screw driver in this area, I already removed it, and push up being careful of the dash. DSC00166.sized.jpg

Eight. Reach in and disconnect the plugs. There are 4. The one on the far right is the hardest. Patience. They will come out. DSC00168.sized.jpg

This is where I leave you. I got so frustrated I forgot to take pics. No worries, there wasnt really anything to photograph anyway. Make sure the wheel is down as far as it can go and the cluster should slide out. I just pulled it out as far as I could get and worked on it from there. I dint want to reconnect evrything, connect the - battery cable, go in, move the wheel down, go back, yada yada,yada. There are a total of 7 screwsthat hold it on. I hate leaving you gyus without some important pics but you should mange : ). In stallation is reversal of removal. Jus dont drop any screws like I did. I had to borrow screws for other part of the car. Now I must go to Lowes and find some. I hope they have them.

So, was it worth it? Here is the part before DSC00173.sized.jpg I di scratch it. You can see it on the lower middle. I wasnt too worried since it was getting removed anyway.

and after , without the flash it came out real crappy so here it is. DSC00182_002.sized.jpg

In closing, this is my first tutorial so I apologize for any missing pics or anyting else that might occur. I want to thank everyone whol helped me in this project. You guys are great.

P.s How many pics am I allowed to have. This stupid thing keeps making me get rid of my pictures?

Thanks guys! I think that the wear sensor is broken. We just out on new brakes a few weeks ago. I thought about removing the light but I'll probably just unplug the wire from the brakes themselves.

Thanks

Yeah it is. I was gonna remove the light but I thought for safetys sake I better not. I think I will disconnect it at the source. The new ones cost a lot.

Thanks

P.S. Anyone watch Nascar Drivers 360? Kenny Wallace is from St. Louis. Thats where I am from!!! : )

He has a southern accent. I dont : (

Thanks guys!! Wow Paul, Bevo Mil I live in Southwest St. Louis city near Ted Drews. I live on Pernod if you're familiar with my area?

Yep, very familiar with Pernod. Till a few months ago, a good

friend lived on Mardel, just off Watson. We used to meet at the

Steak 'n Shake near there for breakfast on Saturdays (till it

burned down...)

Yeah, that Steak and Shake was real close to me. Now I go to that one off 44 and Lindbergh. I havent been to that place in a while. Wow Watson and Mardel. I live about 10 houses down off Watson. You ever drive down and see a black Lexus or green BMW come and by and say Hi!

Thanks

P.S. Thanks Blake!