Over The Top Lexus Treatment

Kennyr

Lexus Mission Viejo (California) is great. They've taken great car of me and my car. I request Melissa Myer as my service advisor - she's nice, honest, and easy to talk to. Up to this point, I've only had regular services performed, but each time has been a pleasant experience.

Different owners will have different opinions on what constitutes good service. For example, I know of one person on this forum who thought it would be great if car repair shops tried to save their customers some money on air conditioning service by:

* subsitituting hardware store quality "O"-ring seals in the air conditioning system instead of using genuine Toyota seals.

* Not replacing the receiver-drier of the air conditioning system when performing a R12 to R134a refrigerant conversion as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

* Not evacuating the air conditioning system using a vacuum pump during the process of converting from R12 to R134a as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

* Using an aftermarket brand of refrigeration during the process of converting from R12 to R134a instead of the Densoil #8 as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

Other Lexus others would be appalled at the thought of a shop cutting corners in this way by using servicing procedures and products that are not Toyota / Lexus approved.

Different owners will have different opinions on what constitutes good service.  For example, I know of one person on this forum who thought it would be great if car repair shops tried to save their customers some money on air conditioning service by:

*  subsitituting hardware store quality "O"-ring seals in the air conditioning system instead of using genuine Toyota seals. 

* Not replacing the receiver-drier of the air conditioning system when performing a R12 to R134a refrigerant conversion as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

* Not evacuating the air conditioning system using a vacuum pump during the process of converting from R12 to R134a as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

* Using an aftermarket brand of refrigeration during the process of converting from R12 to R134a instead of the Densoil #8  as is required by the Lexus Factory Repair Manual

Other Lexus others would be appalled at the thought of a shop cutting corners in this way by using servicing procedures and products that are not Toyota / Lexus approved.

Last time I looked I was living in the United States of America. A country where you could repair your car any way you want. Tell the 20 year old college kid to drive around with no air just because you have the time and money to fix yours by the book and he does not, even though it will work just as good the inexpensive way. I know I'm not going to be loved by (The by The Book Lexus Snobs) on this site. I have the common courtesy to let everybody voice their opinion at least. I expect the same in return.

VGR,

Not all "genuine Lexus/Toyota parts" are created equal. For instance, the factory timing belt installed in my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD is admittedly of world-class quality and is designed to last far longer than the recommended change interval of 90,000 miles. But the factory AC/alternator belt and power steering belt are simply average and easily exceeded in quality by other manufacturers of replacement belts out there in the marketplace, some of them American-made.

A second example would be the original Bridgestone Dueler tires that the factory installed on most RX300s rolling off the assembly line. Only a moron who didn't learn from driving on those tires would buy them again as replacements.

Consider the poorly-designed rear main oil seals that are now failing routinely in a high number of 1999, 2000, and 2001 RX300s.

Don't even get me started on the RX300 AWD transmission.

You always preach that every component Lexus uses to build its vehicles is world-class, nothing-could-possibly-be-better-so-I-won't-even-investigate status. That can often become a dangerous, and very wrong, assumption to make.

Better components are frequently out there. Owners must learn from their problems and search for better solutions accordingly.