Rust On Rotors And Brake Parts...

Geo

OK gang, I know I'm not the only one with a little rust on the rotor and the brake parts. It is visible through the rims. What have you guys done to "dress" this area up ? Rustoloum ? George

In your dry Sacramento climate Toyota brake rotors, calipers and other parts will last for 30+ years without rust / corrosion type problems like they have back in the Northeast USA. So whatever you do, bear in mind it is just for cosmetic appearance purposes, not brake safety and reliability purposes.

Thanks for the advise. Brake paint it is. Now what color paint do you think would go best with a black car ? Black or silver ? Do they even have different colors ? George

Thanks for the advise.  Brake paint it is.  Now what color paint do you think would go best with a black car ?  Black or silver ?  Do they even have different colors ?  George

....and don't forget, DON'T paint the surface of the rotor that the pads contact. :P <_< :P <_<

Doesn't matter if you paint it or not. The pads clear anything not welded on to the rotors instantly.

Silver works best for the rotor hats if you want a stealthy, clean look. Otherwise black is a good color. I baked on two coats of Duplicolor high-temp Aluminum (silver) on my Brembo's a year or more ago. Still looks good.

Like I said, the pads scrape/burn the overspray off instantly, and it leaves you with an ultra pimp cut-off line!

Because almost every rotor you can buy is mainly iron, they all begin rust within a few min after being wet, or raining. The pads scrape that off when you brake.

*follow the directions* Otherwise the paint will degrade over time. That means painting, then baking in an oven for the specified temperature & duration.

I also have a little rust on my rotors. So after reading your comments I conclude that replacement of the rotors, which is what Lexus recommended, is not necessary and will not be a safety risk, correct?

Doesn't matter if you paint it or not. The pads clear anything not welded on to the rotors instantly.

I disagree with this statement! The following text is taken from a British Company that does re-manufacturing of brake rotors:

If you have painted your rotor or received a brake rotor from us that has been painted on the surface where the brake pads rub against the rotor (the friction surface), that paint needs to be removed for maximum braking efficiency. This paint should not be removed by using the braking system due to the possibility of pad contamination.

I also have a little rust on my rotors.  So after reading your comments I conclude that replacement of the rotors, which is what Lexus recommended, is not necessary and will not be a safety risk, correct?

Every auto I own with rotors has some rust after rain. It is only surface rust maybe 0.0005 to 0.001 deep Now if it was pitted from rust, I would turn and then

re-chk thickness & go from there.

Just seeing rust is not a sign to spend $$$$$$ from the start. I know in the spring in the northeast, on humid days with snow, the rotors look like they are 50 years old...unreal.

Considering the facts

1) even baked on high-temp paint will BURN off the first hard use, or long use of the brakes

2) the pant scrubs off easily under the thousand pounds of pressure that is applied to the brake pad

I think the company you googled to find that answer is full of C***. They must have the special kind of paint they put on the SR-71, or space shuttle type applications that withstands a few thousand * F like nothing.

That or they're experianced in 60's and 70's brake pads when the glue couldn't even hold them together under heat.