Program Nav System While Driving

Second Posting for this request.

On the RX330, 2005, Multi Display, pin 7, purple (not purple and white) is known as the "data link" on the wiring drawing on p. 382, LEXUS Navigation System and LEXUS Parking AssistThis is the only line that I can find that might carry the VSS signal. All that I want to do is have the option to program the system without stopping the car! If I clip this wire I plan to put a switch in series to return to normal operating mode. Any one got any Ideas on this modification?

I really need to find the VSS signal.

I tried fooling the system by applying the parking brake (one or two clicks) while driving, but that wouln't let me progam the unit.

unemou@hotmail.com

Hi, I share your interest in programming the Nav system while moving. Where did you find the LEXUS Navigation System and LEXUS Parking Assist? I would like to take a look at the schematic or wiring diagram.

Don

Second Posting for this request.

On the RX330, 2005, Multi Display, pin 7, purple (not purple and white) is known as the "data link" on the wiring drawing on p. 382, LEXUS Navigation System and LEXUS Parking AssistThis is the only line that I can find that might carry the VSS signal. All that I want to do is have the option to program the system without stopping the car! If I clip this wire I plan to put a switch in series to return to normal operating mode. Any one got any Ideas on this modification?

I really need to find the VSS signal.

I tried fooling the system by applying the parking brake (one or two clicks) while driving, but that wouln't let me progam the unit.

unemou@hotmail.com

by 2005 they have several systems that have to be worked on to be able to program while driving. this was not lexus idea to prevent programming while driving .it is the lexus legal dept advice to engineering to prevent this from being done. in usa its big corporations fault if an accident happens while prograsmming not the drivers fault. even if you can get the vss turned off in 20 seconds it will turn back on by itself. so at this point there is no good way to do this on a 2005. even the new 2005 pioneer aftermarket avic -n2 has a screen turnoff in the gyro so if the cars moving the screen shuts off from any functions so even pioneer cant be programmed while driving. in japan there are no such legal impediments and they have both tv tuners , dvd movies and also can change destination while driving. i havent heard that they all have died in traffic accideants.

by 2005 they have several systems that have to be worked on to be able to program while driving. this was not lexus idea  to prevent programming while driving .it is the lexus legal dept advice to engineering to prevent this from being done. in usa its big corporations fault if an accident happens while prograsmming not the drivers fault. even if you can get the vss turned off in 20 seconds it will turn back on by itself. so at this point there is no good way to do this on a 2005. even the new 2005 pioneer aftermarket  avic -n2 has a screen turnoff in the gyro so if the cars moving the screen shuts off from any functions so even pioneer cant be programmed while driving. in japan there are no such legal impediments and they have both tv tuners , dvd movies and also can change destination while driving. i havent heard that they all have died in traffic accideants.

by 2005 they have several systems that have to be worked on to be able to program while driving. this was not lexus idea  to prevent programming while driving .it is the lexus legal dept advice to engineering to prevent this from being done. in usa its big corporations fault if an accident happens while prograsmming not the drivers fault. even if you can get the vss turned off in 20 seconds it will turn back on by itself. so at this point there is no good way to do this on a 2005. even the new 2005 pioneer aftermarket  avic -n2 has a screen turnoff in the gyro so if the cars moving the screen shuts off from any functions so even pioneer cant be programmed while driving. in japan there are no such legal impediments and they have both tv tuners , dvd movies and also can change destination while driving. i havent heard that they all have died in traffic accideants.

I understand the legal ramifications for Lexus and our litigious society and those that seek to gain by the system :pirate:

Your reply was appreciated. I don't believe the RX 3330, 2005 has a gyro or other devises to termanate the program. There are other things trhat may be accomplished while driving I,E., info system.climate. etc. The question is still out there "Does the Data Link line carry the VSS signal?" If it does, I feel that placing a switch in series will work fine. What I would really like to know is what data is carried on that link, or is it a new name for the VSS?

To the person that ask for the drawings, I don't have them. I have seen them and I can assure you that the Data Link is a direct connection to pin 7 on the multi-display (screen) Ifyou need to check the drawing personally , that reference will surfice at the dealership. Any one on the techs will pull it up for you. :cheers:

• 4 months later...

How To Enter Map Destinations While Driving

In sequence

Press the Menu button on the dash.

Press the Volume button on the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen. (Where the speaker icon is located.)

Press the lower left corner of the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen again.

Press the lower left corner of the screen again.

On the screen that appears:

Press the Override button and hold it until you hear a beep. The Override letters turn black in color showing it is deselected.

Press the Back button to get back to the previous screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Followup to previous reply:

Went to the car this morning and thought that we were talking about different systems. The lower left presses lacked an Icon. Much to my surprise it worked. The car was parked and motor was not running. That might make a differents in programming the destination. I am still confused on entering the destination, perhaps you can expand on that portion of the procedure.

Speaking for myself, and I suspect many other Lexus owners, thank you so very much for this information. I was stuck in the Rita hurricane evac and could not determine alternate routes because of this limitation. Traffic was moving at a crawl and provided little opportunities to access the nav system to determine alternate routes. This info would have been so helpful for my wife to search routes while I dealt with traffic.

When I talked to Toyota about a fix for this problem, this solution was never mentioned and I was told that any modification to the navigation system would void my warranty. It is my opinion, they have made the tradeoff on litigation vs customer assistance and satisfaction.

Again thank you for this information

• 3 weeks later...

Hi is this only for the 2005 RX and up or will it work for the 04 too!

Thanks...

I understand the legal ramifications for Lexus and our litigious society and those that seek to gain by the system :pirate:

Your reply was appreciated. I don't believe the RX 3330, 2005 has a gyro or other devises to termanate the program. There are other things trhat may be accomplished while driving I,E., info system.climate. etc. The question is still out there "Does the Data Link line carry the VSS signal?" If it does, I feel that placing a switch in series will work fine. What I would really like to know is what data is carried on that link, or is it a new name for the VSS?

To the person that ask for the drawings, I don't have them. I have seen them and I can assure you that the Data Link is a direct connection to pin 7 on the multi-display (screen) Ifyou need to check the drawing personally , that reference will surfice at the dealership. Any one on the techs will pull it up for you.:cheers:

by 2005 they have several systems that have to be worked on to be able to program while driving. this was not lexus idea to prevent programming while driving .it is the lexus legal dept advice to engineering to prevent this from being done. in usa its big corporations fault if an accident happens while prograsmming not the drivers fault. even if you can get the vss turned off in 20 seconds it will turn back on by itself. so at this point there is no good way to do this on a 2005. even the new 2005 pioneer aftermarket avic -n2 has a screen turnoff in the gyro so if the cars moving the screen shuts off from any functions so even pioneer cant be programmed while driving. in japan there are no such legal impediments and they have both tv tuners , dvd movies and also can change destination while driving. i havent heard that they all have died in traffic accideants.

I have driven Lexus cars in Japan (actually, all the US Lexus cars have been sold as Toyotas in Japan. The Lexus brand was just introduced into Japan on August 30, 2005). The "Lexus" navigation systems in Japan do not allow playing commercial DVDs in the front seats, do not allow TV watching unless the car is stopped and limit programming choices unless the car is stopped and the parking brake is applied. Third-party navigation systems available in Japan generally do not have these restrictions. There are fewer lawyers in the whole of Japan than in most US states. The problem seems primarily to be that Toyota is so big and successful that it doesn't really respond to consumer issues (for example, Nissan and Honda, to say nothing of BMW, Audi and Volvo have MP3 jacks OEM, Toyota has nothing). Secondarily it is probably a desire to avoid blame if someone injuries himself while fumbling with the navigation system. It is not a fear of losing a lawsuit: it is unheard of for an individual litigant to recover more than $1 million in a personal injury action in Japan, petty cash for a company Toyota's size.

Be that as it may, I am also interested in learning how to hack the 2005 navigation system so I don't have to stop cold in a slow-moving traffic jam in order to find an alternate route.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to pull off the road several times in semi-emergency situations to re-program the GPS. You can't tell me that's not as dangerous as hell too... with traffic whizzing by you at 70mph +! You know there's going to come a day when someone sues them for forcing them to pull off the road where they then got slammed by a truck!

Although I have to say it is extremely dangerous to play around with it too much while you're driving. Every second you take your eyes off - or even somewhat off the road - the road things can happen. I think if you're conscious of that and really try to use it only when you really, really have to you should be fine. But I'm sure some people get totally caught up in it and really lose consciousness of what's going on on the road around them.

Oh, and by the way - thanks so much for the info on this hack! It will definitely come in handy. Just curious - is it something you can do while driving, or do you have to do it before you start your trip. I'm guessing you can do it while driving, since getting to the volume button is possible while driving.

Edited by LexNYC

By the way, does anyone know what this fix would be (if there is one) on the 2004 RX 330? I tried it on mine and nothing happened. Thanks!

The following 2 links have some of the 2004 and earlier Nav hack info:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=23857&hl=

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171662

The difference is that the sequence to be used is: menu > system option > top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom right. >override > back.

You must do this before you start driving.