mark levinson stereo...............

well this is my first post on THIS forum, but i am an avid car audio lover..........i have lots of post on other forums, though that doesnt mean that im that smart :D anyways..........i was wondering just how good the top of the line mark levinson system sounds..........im not into like rockford fosgate or mtx or anything.......i like the NICE stuff........such as rainbow,mb quart, adire audio, etc........so if you could compare it to the nicest of the aftermarket audio, thatd be nice........also.......are there any pictures anywhere of the actual mark levinson car speakers themselves? im dying to know just what they really look like........although theyre probably pretty ugly.......well if there are any please post them........thanks in advance...........jeffery

Sorry, bro. Welcome to the boards and I hope someone has more info for you. I always get the sale car audio deals. I just can't rationalize the high $$$ for the sound equipment in the car. I prefer to put the money into the go fast goodies. Don't get me wrong, the high end stuff is great. There are some Diamond Audio 6" mids and tweets in the SC. But just a JVC head and some sony bass I had laying around. Maybe after some other things are done, I can mark some dough for the high price tunes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a new ES300 with Mark Levinson. After 3 weeks of listening to it, here are my thoughts:

The overall sound is smooth and powerful, but is lacking something. I think the sound system is filtering out too much of the high end. It doesn't really have that bite that it should.

The Eq. that's included on the Nav System screen is a joke. You're only given control over three components of the sound: Bass, Treble, and Mid. I figured for this kind of money, they would give you a full Eq., with some kind of realtime feedback, like the Eq. in WinAmp works.

As far as speaker placement goes, I'm mostly satisfied. However, there's one troublesome speaker in the car....on the driver's side, about seat level. When I drive, my left leg seems to get in the way of this speaker. It definitely blocks the sound. If I extend my leg (under the dashboard) it gets out of the way enough to let the speaker work correctly.

All in all, I would have to say that the Levinson system is not at all worth the money. The stock stereo sounds just as good to me....almost better, since it's a lot less expensive. Save your bucks and use the money to upgrade later.

-Sonny Q.

Austin, TX

• 1 month later...

i contacted mark lev. to ask about a system for my rx. they told me that unless you bought it off the lot new or it was new that they had nothing. i would suggest going aftermarket though. i'm stuck with my stock unit so just be greatfull you have that option. i wish i did. my stock unit has no rca jacks in the back. i don't think any stock unit does either. if your wanting to install a sub right then make sure you have access to rca jacks. good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a new question relating to the Mark Levinson stereo. I am a previous ES300 owner and looking to become a new ES300 owner very shortly. However, I was told that ... the car I want does not exist. I am looking to purchase a 2003 ES300 with the Mark Levinson Audio package. I was told by a few dealers that in order to get the Mark Lev audio, you must get the Navigation system. I do not want/need to Navigatoin system. I was told that I could order it but .. if I do that, my cost will most likely be very close to sticker price - which Im not crazy about paying since the '04s will be out soon and the 03s are already being discounted by between 2500 and 4000 dollars. What about installing after-market? Does anyone know if I can have the same Mark Levinson system installed after I buy the car? If not, can anyone recommend an after-market system that would be comparable? I may break down and get the Nav/Lev - but it seems kinda crazy to pay and extra three grand for something you don't want! Any thoughts, insight, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!