Question About Sprint Bluetooth Phones

I am in the process of getting a new cell phone and currently have Verizon (but my contract is up, so I can go with anyone)-- Re: coverage areas I use, only Verizon and Cingulair are really options.  I am aware of the limitations with Verizon (no OBEX) and the use of Lexus BLuetooth system--- i.e. no phone book transfer, but I guess I am trying to decide how much of a limitation is it really. I have been happy with Verizon.  I am waiting for my 400h but need a new phone now.  I just want to be sure I'm not disappointed later.  Can I use all other features of the Lexus Bluetooth with a Verizon's Motorola V710?

Can you enter phone numbers manually (with names) into the Lexus? 

I was also very intrigued by the recent post of the ebay cell phone/card transfer (you don't need service to do that??).

Thankyou in advance for the decision making help.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Cingular so I can say it Sucks big time! I have two sons that signed up for Cingular and have been sorry ever since. Very poor service in any area but around major shopping centers or freeways. Both sons can't receive service in their homes. They have to go outside and down to the corner to receive any signal. When they come to my house they don't get any service, period. My Verizon phone has 3 bars! Go figure. So why would I want a phone that works in my car as long as I'm close to a freeway and not in my house? Maybe Verizon has crippled their Blue tooth phones, but at less I get a cell everywhere. I can still use this phone in the car, but just can't transfer the address book. It's much more important to me to have good cells everywhere than trying to figure out how to make the phone work with my Lexus!! I just can't understand how the Lexus dealers can say Cingular is the only recommended service provider. <_<

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I finally had some free time and was planning on trying to get my verizon audiovox 6600 pocketpc phone to hopefully work with my 400h. It didn't. Won't transfer the phonebook! So, I can enter my numbers in manually, but cannot dial out unless the car is stopped, correct? Is there a way I can enter the names/numbers in to the lexus phone book or must I buy a new phone just to be able to dial out when driving?

Thanks in advance

Has anyone had luck with the Motorola V3 Razr on Cingular??

Thanks!

We got a Motorola V551 from Cingular for use with our RX400h and it works quite well with a few exceptions. An exception being that when you make calls from the phone itself, the switch from phone to car speakers doesn't happen until the party answers and you can't talk to them from the phone itself either... some people immediately hang up because 'no one is there!' and this is not good! The other thing I dislike is that you must transfer the directory entries over one by one... The car may hold 500 entries but I haven't figured out how to get my entire phone book into it in a reasonable amount of time and effort. Anyone know a better/easier way to handle?

I am trying to figure out whether the Sprint Bluetooth phone models will work with the 400H. I called Lexustalk, and they claim that only Cingular Bluetooth phones will work, but I don't understand why. They didn't either. Anyone out there have experience with using a Sprint Bluetooth (I'm thinking of the LG PGM-325) with their 400H, or can explain what the issues are?

Thank you!

I have a AT&T/Cingular Treo 650 with bluetooth technology and it does NOT work. I found that phones from T-mobile works.

I also have the treo 650 that im very happy with, i have synched it with the phone, however my 400h isnt working with it either. One of my salesmen told me that someone has figured out how to make this phone work in the 400h i will be seeing him in the next few weeks and report if i have success. At the same time i do use a motorola headset with the treo #(820) that i find very comfortable, so im not sure that i will use the 400h bluetooth feature.

Has anyone tried this new Verizon bluetooth phone??

Motorola E815

*The E815 supports Bluetooth Profiles for wireless headsets, hands-free accessories. Phonebook/datebook synchronization with optional Motorola Phone Tools or Verizon Wireless Mobile Office kit. It does not support all object exchange (OBEX) profiles. Accessories and Phone Book Tool/Mobile Office Kit sold separately. See Bluetooth for details.

Motorola E815

*The E815 supports Bluetooth Profiles for wireless headsets, hands-free accessories. Phonebook/datebook synchronization with optional Motorola Phone Tools or Verizon Wireless Mobile Office kit. It does not support all object exchange (OBEX) profiles. Accessories and Phone Book Tool/Mobile Office Kit sold separately. See Bluetooth for details.

Yes, it works exactly like any other blue tooth phone from Verizon. It doesn't support obex and you can't transfer your address book; period! They want to sell you the extra service so they will always cripple their phones. Just because it's new from Verizon doesn't mean it works any different than their old Motorola V710 phone. Sorry for the bad news! Other than that, it's a better phone than the V710. :angry:

Motorola E815

You can't transfer your address book; period! They want to sell you the extra service...

That is bad news!

So what is this extra service that Verizon wants to sell me? How will it allow me to (safely) place a handsfree call from inside the car to someone on the address book stored in my phone?

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Just playing around with the phone book in the nav system, it looks like you should be able to import your address book from your bluetooth phone and then assign certain entries to be "one touch" dial numbers. That way to place a call you simply hit the the telephone button on the steering wheel and select a "one touch" number from the nav screen and you are dialing... am I right?

You might even be able select the "one touch" number using the voice command which would make it a "no touch" or "voice activated" dial (not counting the steering wheel buttons of course).

This scenario is infinitely safer than juggling with the tiny numbers on the face of a tiny phone... sheeze why have a bluetooth phone at all, I have to do than now.

You have to pay to transfer the phonebook?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait...

Thats Verizon for you. What a bunch of pirates.

You have to pay to transfer the phonebook?

Wait...

Thats Verizon for you. What a bunch of pirates.

You know something, based on what I have read here, this whole 400h bluetooth thing is pretty sad. You spend $50K for a vehicle thinking you're going to have bluetooth and a lot of other neat stuff. Right off the bat, you find out that the bluetooth won't work with your phone or your provider. That would definitely tick me off. :(

Here's something more amusing. While I was typing this post, I saw a commercial for Sprint PCS featuring the very hot Rachel Hunter. Unlike the bluetooth system in the 400h, she definitely does NOT disappoint. Of course, the phones she's hawking probably won't work in the 400h. :o

Sorry to sound out of it, but I'm new to the Lexus 400h (owner for 3 weeks) and new to Bluetooth technology. Reading this thread can be confusing.

I have a simple question...I'm getting the Treo 650 from either Verizon (current provider) or Sprint or Cingular. Am I really better off getting the Cingular plan just to be able to sync the numbers with the Lexus? I actually prefer Verizon's coverage - have been with them for 7+ years.

Maybe I have one more question. If I stick with Verizon...does this mean when I dial a number I must dial it through the lexus nav system or can I also dial a number on the Treo yet still communicate via the Lexus BT?

Stick with the carrier that you trust that provides the best phone cell coverage in your area. In the northwest cingular is strong they took over a solid att system, sprint is the most spotty here. In the rest of the country cingular may not be the best, you seem to have good luck with Verizon, and a history with their service.

Stick with the carrier that you trust that provides the best phone cell coverage in your area.  In the northwest cingular is strong they took over a solid att system, sprint is the most spotty here.  In the rest of the country cingular may not be the best, you seem to have good luck with Verizon, and a history with their service.

I agree that sticking with the carrier that offers the best coverage in your area makes sense. However, why stick with Verizon if their bluetooth phones will not work with the 400h???? :chairshot:

My brother has a 400h and he is on Verizon. Unfortunately, he just signed a new contract...$175 cancellation fee. He needs a new phone as his is near death. Initially, I told him to get a bluetooth phone for use in the Lexus. But, after reading the horror stories on this forum, I told him to blow it off. Why give Verizon $400 for a bluetooth phone that won't work with your vehicle's system??? :chairshot:

Sorry, i did not see a post here that said Verizon would not work with the Lexus. I personally use a Motorola headset with my bluetooth treo 650 as i find the voice qualtiy on both ends, and ease of switching between vehicles to be of a greater benefit. My carrier is Cingular. The other issue is that while the treo will mate with many bluetooth devices, it will only automatcially recognize the last one you used, unless u manually go in and change the device.

You know something, based on what I have read here, this whole 400h bluetooth thing is pretty sad.  You spend $50K for a vehicle thinking you're going to have bluetooth and a lot of other neat stuff.  Right off the bat, you find out that the bluetooth won't work with your phone or your provider.  That would definitely tick me off. :(

Here's something more amusing.  While I was typing this post, I saw a commercial for Sprint PCS featuring the very hot Rachel Hunter.  Unlike the bluetooth system in the 400h, she definitely does NOT disappoint.  Of course, the phones she's hawking probably won't work in the 400h.   :o

Its not Lexus' fault. The fault lies with Verizon deleting the profiles that are neccisary to use the phone properly with the Lexus system. The phone also doesn't work on Acura, BMW, or Mercedes systems. Its the phone, not the car. Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), and BMW are currently suing Verizon because they reccomended this phone to their customers.

Lexus can't control what other companies do with their own products.

You know something, based on what I have read here, this whole 400h bluetooth thing is pretty sad.  You spend $50K for a vehicle thinking you're going to have bluetooth and a lot of other neat stuff.  Right off the bat, you find out that the bluetooth won't work with your phone or your provider.  That would definitely tick me off. :(

Here's something more amusing.  While I was typing this post, I saw a commercial for Sprint PCS featuring the very hot Rachel Hunter.  Unlike the bluetooth system in the 400h, she definitely does NOT disappoint.  Of course, the phones she's hawking probably won't work in the 400h.   :o

Its not Lexus' fault. The fault lies with Verizon deleting the profiles that are neccisary to use the phone properly with the Lexus system. The phone also doesn't work on Acura, BMW, or Mercedes systems. Its the phone, not the car. Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), and BMW are currently suing Verizon because they reccomended this phone to their customers.

Lexus can't control what other companies do with their own products.

SW...thanks for posting about the lawsuits. That's some comfort.

For those who are stuck with Verizon and don't already own a bluetooth phone, the best suggestion at this point is to wait and see what happens before taking the plunge??????

For those who are stuck with Verizon and don't already own a bluetooth phone, the best suggestion at this point is to wait and see what happens before taking the plunge??????

Well that's what I'm doing... I have Verizon and I'm happy with the service. They now have several bluetooth phone options that range in features all the way up to minicomputers. But none have the abiltiy to trans the address book. Hence the lawsuit from Lexus. It seems to be related to the Denso system since the same thing is true of the Toyota and GM systems.

If my current phone konks out anytime soon, I'll have to pick an option and hope for the best.

Its not the Denso system at all, its any bluetooth interface that stores phone numbers on the nav screen.

Well, according to the verizonwireless web site, the Motorola V710 and E815 can share the phone books with several of the BMW and Audi nav systems (non Denso systems)...I want what they have :(

I just spent two hours loading my phone list on to my new LS430 using Cingular/Razr V3. The first hour's work was wasted, because no one told me to press OK after each entry. So the numbers disappered after I turned the car off.

Now, after the second try---remember, only one number at a time---It's up and running. Speed dials are easy and the sound is great.

One disappointment---the Razr/Cingular Bluetooth connection is very tenuous. I have to reconnect often to keep the system up and running..

But it does work.

I just spent two hours loading my phone list on to my new LS430 using Cingular/Razr V3.  The first hour's work was wasted, because no one told me to press OK after each entry.  So the numbers disappered after I turned the car off.

Now, after the second try---remember, only one number at a time---It's up and running.  Speed dials are easy and the sound is great.

One disappointment---the Razr/Cingular Bluetooth connection is very tenuous.  I have to reconnect often to keep the system up and running..

But it does work.

UPDATE:

With all of my data up-loaded using my Cingular Razr V3, I now updated my Verizon service by adding a Motorola E815 Bluetooth phone.

Here it is guys....Very easy to make the bluetooth connection--every time--with a couple of clicks. It has a good, strong signal, never drops a connection as works flawlessly.

It is stupid that we have to work around Verizon to get our data loaded, but once in the Lexus system, that Verizon-based Moto E815 is absolutely the best!!!