Aftermarket In-dash Computer

I was surfing along today and found this site I thought for a while and decided a mac mini should fit nicely where the cd changer goes in the glove box in my 98 es300. I think it would be possible to run the speakers through the computer, so i could still play cds, and i could even watch movies. Does anyone know anything about how to wire it so I would no longer need the head unit? Has anyone done anything like this?

People have done it, but a desktop computer is no home for a car.

The enviorment is hot ,cold, full of electromagnetic feilds and worst of all power spikes and fluctuations which are deadly to a computer .

Basically you need to add an after market lcd screen and an a/v card to run it ,then a power supply/ups to stabilize the power. you then need to add an amp to power the speakers properly as an a/v card cannot do it right.

Not the hardest thing to do but hard to do it properly.

People have done it, but a desktop computer is no home for a car.

The enviorment is hot ,cold, full of electromagnetic feilds and worst of all power spikes and fluctuations which are deadly to a computer .

Basically you need to add an after market lcd screen and an a/v card to run it ,then a power supply/ups to stabilize the power. you then need to add an amp to power the speakers properly as an a/v card cannot do it right.

Not the hardest thing to do but hard to do it properly.

I have had a desktop computer in my ES 300 for over a year now. i use it on my 45 min drive to work ever day with no problems.

I also have on in my Ford Ranger for over 4 years not with no problems also.

I have lost of pictures of the projects as it went into my lexus and my ranger please take a look.

lexus computer

sd2_JPG.jpg

ford ranger computer

• 2 weeks later...
I have had a desktop computer in my ES 300 for over a year now.  i use it on my 45 min drive to work ever day with no problems. 

I also have on in my Ford Ranger for over 4 years not with no problems also.

I have lost of pictures of the projects as it went into my lexus and my ranger please take a look.

lexus computer

sd2_JPG.jpg

ford ranger computer

Do you have your projects or pics uploaded anywhere else? Those links don't seem to work anymore. I have a '99 ES and I'm really interested in a carputer.