Rx400h Xm Radio

Ok, that's good news. The VAIS-AIC100 is the inerface, what XM radio did you use?

I have a commander, wonder if I could still use that?

Since there were some RX 330 owners interested in XM, I also cross-posted this in the RX 300/330 forum.

I installed VAIS-AIC100x in my RX 400h today. It took longer than I expected, mainly due to XM's problem accepting my activation request. After waiting several hours after activating the additional receiver on my account on the XM web site, I called. The CSR said that the web request was not fully submitted. That was odd, given that I had a confirmation on the final screen. Anyway, that was the only hiccup.

My installation experience:

- This isn't for the faint of heart. I had to tear apart the car quite a bit. I like DIY projects. It isn't that difficult -- snaps or small screws hold the plastic trim pieces on. Be strong, but not careless with each piece.

- The RX 400h (and I assume the RX 330) is not as easy to take apart as my 1999 RX 300 (I installed an XM roady2 in it 6 months ago). For starters, the RX 300 had plastic trim around the rear door that made fishing the antenna wire a snap (literally). The RX 400h has the headliner tucked under the rubber seal. It is not as forgiving as the plastic (and I never figured out how to remove it, being afraid to destroy the headliner). I was able to pull it back just far enough to guide the antenna wire down from the top of the door to the side.

- The antenna wire wasn't long enough for me to route it the way I preferred. Therefore, I ended up taking a shortcut under the driver's seat and mat. I would have preferred to go behind the carpet under the brake pedal, but it wouldn't reach. This is likely due to my reluctance to get aggressive in tearing the rear interior of the vehicle out to shorten that part of the antenna wire's trip. I mounted the antenna directly behind the existing antenna. The wire enters the car through the left-most wire harness tubing.

- Pulling the head unit out is no problem. However, beware the two top screws -- don't let them fall into the center console!

- I put the two units (AIC 100x and XM Direct) beneath the radio, at the bottom of the center console. They barely fit. I'll probably check under there after a 30 minute drive to see how the heat is. I might need to relocate one of the units.

- I'm impressed with the integration of the unit with the factory radio. Mine came set for MD emulation. It needs to be set to CD changer emulation (instructions are there and a snap). Once it is, it works quite well.

- The display setting was also set for MD emulation, which initially made the channel numbers appear odd. Following the display setting instructions quickly got the display fixed. It now displays the channel number on the far right of the display, with no disc or track numbers showing. Hitting the text button brings up the channel title. Hitting text again brings up song and artist info (you have to press and hold the text button a second time to display the entire song/artist info).

- Sound quality seems better than my RX 300's configuration of using the Roady2 through the cassette adapter. My wife (who isn't usually picky about sound quality) could not tolerate the FM modulator approach on the RX 300 and demanded that she use the cassette adapter in her RX 300. So, the XM Direct in my RX 400h is even better (albeit with XM's still compressed/digitized sound).

- I have not used the Radio Shack ground isolator that VAIS recommends. I haven't had any miles on the RX 400h (just sat in my driveway after the install), so I'll see if I need one after driving it a bit.

- Had it not been for XM's activation snafu, I would have completed the install in about 2 hours.

In summary, the integration with the factory radio is great. I love XM and this VAIS unit makes it possible to have XM without any ugliness. No one would know that I've modded the car. The sound quality isn't up to CD standards, but is tolerable in a car. The direct connection seems noticeably better than the cassette-adapter setup I have in my RX 300.

I've now addressed my only complaint with the RX 400h. I hope Lexus starts integrating XM into future vehicles.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that's good news. The VAIS-AIC100 is the inerface, what XM radio did you use?

I think so. The VAIS documents say that it works with XM Direct or XM Commander.

I think so. The VAIS documents say that it works with XM Direct or XM Commander.

It works with either, but the Commander is a lot more expensive than the Direct, and offers no advantage with the VAIS interface, so unless you already have one like Jerry, it's not worth buying one for this purpose - i.e. stick with the Direct.

is sat. radio really worth it?  pay a monthly fee for commercial free music? no offense but i dont think it is worth it.i like my FM radio the way it is...there is one feature i would like to have that all radio stations dont have...RDS...where it tells u the song u play...but i dont think thats worth $400+

I think that some people felt the same way about cable television when it first came out ("Why would I pay for TV when I can get all the televison I want from the roof antenna?").

I think that once you have satellite radio in your car you'll never want to go back to over -the-air broadcasts again, except maybe for local news. The variety is incredible, both for music and talk (including sports broadcasts).

I really wish that Lexus would have an integrated satellite radio in the RX330. I have an aftermarket Sirius radio installed just below the factory radio. It's small, but it still looks like it doesn't belong there. I'm sure that Lexus will offer something within the next year or so. I just hope that we will have a choice of satellite providers (I prefer Sirius), instead of being stuck with whatever company Lexus chooses.

I agree on the satellite radio. For what the RX400h costs, it should have satellite radio capability. Yesterday, after purchasing the car, we tried to get some decent music on the ML stereo on our way home from Dallas. Couldn't get anything worth a darn. I just shut it off and drove.

I think that if a person is going to shell out $50,000 for an automobile, they would be willing to pay $10 a month or whatever for satellite radio. Lexus should take that into consideration. Heck, they could get rid of the dinosaur cassette deck and add satellite radio. Actually, I'm still shocked that the car has a cassette player. By the way, no offense to anyone who has cassettes. I still have a bunch that haven't seen the light of day in a long time so I'm a dinosaur myself.

I did not see the commander radio anywhere in their docs?

Where did you see this?

What emulation mode do you use?

Can you see signal strength?

TIA

It works with either, but the Commander is a lot more expensive than the Direct, and offers no advantage with the VAIS interface, so unless you already have one like Jerry, it's not worth buying one for this purpose - i.e. stick with the Direct.

I did not see the commander radio  anywhere in their docs?

Where did you see this?

What emulation mode do you use?

Can you see signal strength?

The AIC-100x manual says:

"AIC-100x supports both Terk XMDirect and XMCommander universal satellite tuners." It is underlined in the manual.

I use CD changer emulation mode. You can change the emulation mode, but you need physical access to the unit (to plug in the 1/8" mini plug used for changing modes). The display modes are set from the head unit by pressing SCAN 8 times. It goes through the eight display modes sequentially. I simply did this until it displayed things the way I liked. It was simple and quick.

Signal strength can be displayed by pressing SCAN 4 times. The signal strength is displayed where the XM channel number is shown (hitting TUNE+/TUNE- gets you out of the signal strength mode). The signal strength is 0-50. My in-the-clear strength is 35. In my garage, it is 19.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for very helpful information. I too consider the lack of built in XM radio to be the major drawback of the 400h.

I am not comfortable doing the installations described in this string myself, and a couple dealers I've checked with won't do the integrated system (only the FM modulated system from Delphi). Does anyone know of any DC area dealers or car shops that would?

Also, for the sake of comparison, any photos of the systems described in this string would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried the XM kit out of another Toyota? It works in the Prius:

http://www.priusxm.com/

The Sirius Kit works too:

http://www.siriusprius.com/

Anyway, it's a single connector on the back of the radio. It seems the best way to go is with the LX470 kit because it has a "Y" at this connector. I don't know if something is already occupying this connector in the RX400h, but if so, the "Y" would be required.

Anyway, I don't know if it works at all, but it's likely. Anybody want to be the guinea pig? Report back if you have success!

Nate

• 4 weeks later...
I agree on the satellite radio.  For what the RX400h costs, it should have satellite radio capability.  Yesterday, after purchasing the car, we tried to get some decent music on the ML stereo on our way home from Dallas.  Couldn't get anything worth a darn.  I just shut it off and drove.

I think that if a person is going to shell out $50,000 for an automobile, they would be willing to pay $10 a month or whatever for satellite radio.  Lexus should take that into consideration.  Heck, they could get rid of the dinosaur cassette deck and add satellite radio.  Actually, I'm still shocked that the car has a cassette player.  By the way, no offense to anyone who has cassettes.  I still have a bunch that haven't seen the light of day in a long time so I'm a dinosaur myself.

I agree that the casette is a dinosaur that should have been left out, but I don't agree that satellite radio is the "modern" approach. Everyone I know under the age of 25 would prefer mp3/iPod support, and I tend to agree. I wish that my 400h had included an iPod connector.

I just ordered the AIC-100x XM kit from www.vaistech.com for my 400h. I'm going to attempt to self-install it.

I did a quick "test run" last night before ordering it to see if I could get to the original head unit. It is no problem at all, except for taking out some hard-to-get-to screws (I'm terrified of dropping them and losing them in the dash).

It appears that the real challenge will be locating the AIC-100x and the XM Direct unit in a discreet place. Any suggestions? I want it to be "permanent", out-of-sight (as much as possible) and somewhere to allow relatively short cable runs.

I'll report back on my experiences. I hope to receive the AIC-100x soon. I'm thinking of taking pictures and posting them on a web site to document the install. If anyone has done an install with AIC-100's before (in any Lexus) and you want to post suggestions and "watch out for"s, please do so ASAP!

I have the commander XM, I installed this unit myself. The head is double side taped above the steering wheel, fits just right there. The module is mounted in the rear of the console. I did remove the radio to mount the relay box. I used two clamp on splices for the power and constant +12v. I ran the antenna wire up the rain channel and dropped the antenna 5" above center. Used a piece of 3m clear protector below it on the painted surface. Tacked the thin antenna wire with a minature glue gun.

Neat and works very well.

Oddly, no. Hyundai has it, Lexus does not.  Go figure.

Ron O (or anyone else with an XM installed), can you tell us a few more details about your installation, please? Specifically:

- How is the XM radio "connected" to the stereo (direct L/R connections, FM modulator, cassette adapter)?

- Where is the XM tuner unit located?

- Where is the XM antenna located?

Thanks!

I'll try to get a pic of the installation. It works great -- I wouldn't want a car with out it

Ron O (or anyone else with an XM installed), can you tell us a few more details about your installation, please? Specifically:

- How is the XM radio "connected" to the stereo (direct L/R connections, FM modulator, cassette adapter)?

Thanks!

:rolleyes: Here are photos of the installation. I hope it helps:http://a5.cpimg.com/image/81/98/51612545-08ca-02000180-.jpg

http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/get...546-3d30&trans=

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/7F/98/51612543-04a9-02000180-.jpg

I had aq Delphi XM  installed by the dealer for  $399 --- works great.

That was a surprise and dissapointment for me as well. I'm using the Mi-fi with the holder sitting in the front vent. Was there any issue with your installation? I was thinking we wouldn't be able to do that with the Nav System and ML sound.

http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/get...543-129e&trans=

http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/get...545-3daa&trans=

http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/get...546-3d30&trans=

Thanks!

I have posted photos 3 times and they seem to be scattered . the last I saw they wound up on page 3... I can't figure this forums posting system out -- The Audi is striegt forward and easy to use and informative -- this forum is discouraging.. See this for example

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/s4.html

Put my commander just above the steering wheel, with real strong double side tape.

Home made L bracket helps support it. Works well there.

Picture here

http://www.icomrepair.com/picts/rx400dash.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the XM kit out of another Toyota?  It works in the Prius:

The Sirius Kit works too:

Anyway, it's a single connector on the back of the radio.  It seems the best way to go is with the LX470 kit because it has a "Y" at this connector.  I don't know if something is already occupying this connector in the RX400h, but if so, the "Y" would be required.

Anyway, I don't know if it works at all, but it's likely.  Anybody want to be the guinea pig?  Report back if you have success!

Nate

I've been in touch with these guys. They haven't tested their prius system in the RX400h yet so I am about to be their guinea pig. I figured what the heck, they are in New Jersey also about an hour or so away from me and if it works, I get an integrated XM radio system. If it doesn't, skyfi here I come.

I will post after this experiment to let you guys know how it all turns out.

Keep in mind the kit is actually a Solara kit for the XM and (probably) a Land Cruiser kit for the Sirius, with a custom Antenna.

What I'm saying is that they are using genuine Toyota parts from other models with a custom Prius mounting solution. This ought to work perfectly for the RX.

Nate

Has anyone had any experience using a portable XM receiver such as the Pioneer Airware or the Delphi Myfi? i am considering using this as an alternative to installing a unit directly into the rx400h.

Yes, we used the MyFi for a road trip in the RX 400h from Albuquerque to Seattle and it worked great. Just plugged the power cord into the lower plug at the bottom of the center console, put the tape adapter in and placed the MyFi adjacent to the power plug, all pretty much out of the way and sight. The only thing really visible is the small Myfi antenna which we put on the dash as far forward as possible. It picked up the signal great from this location through the windsheild. Running it through the tape unit allows for the volume controls on the steering wheel to adjust the XM volume. The MyFi comes with a small remote so can change channels without picking up or reaching for the unit.

We have the MyFi in the house mostly, connected to all house speakers via the home audio system but can take it with in the RX, or other vehicles for that matter, at any time as the connections are very quick and easy to set up on the fly. We use it this way in the RX occasionally so don't use a permanent installation but that would not be difficult to do. I prefer going with a portable unit like this because of all the flexibility it brings with it. Even used it a bit in Alaska this summer on a family cruise up the inside passage. Spotty reception there but could get the signal at some locations.

Well guys,

I went up to North Jersey today and played guinea pig for the prius xm folks' xm radio installation. The bottom line is, IT WORKS GREAT. It is completely integrated with my existing radio (no outside controllers, wires, etc.). As I scroll through the radio bands, I now have 3 satellite bands available for storing presets.

This company was very cool and did a great job on the install so if you are in reasonable proximity to the Morristown, NJ area I would recommend that you let them do the install, though I must admit that if you are moderatly handy, this install will be a piece of cake.

In addition to the XM install, they also tested their Sirius unit and it worked perfectly. I am extremely satisfied and it was much more reasonably priced than the VAIS unit.

The control unit mounted easily under a rear storage tray near the hatch and running the cable through the car was a piece of cake. The satellite antenna was installed right behind the GPS antenna and you can hardly tell its there.

Any questions, let me know. You can check this guy out at the following url's.