Another Worry Inspiring Ticky Sound

Hey all. I've just recently noticed a very slight ticking sound coming from the front right wheel... It's quiet enough that I have to have the window down and be driving very slow to hear it. I'd imagine it makes one tick for every time the wheel revolves. Any ideas what it could be? (apart form a can stuck to my tire :P)

first thought is just that, a rock, pebble or nail stuck in the tread.

does it make the sound when cornering, going straight or both?

If you find no foreign object stuck in the tire, then put the front tire on the back and the back tire on the front. If the noise goes to the back, it is in the tire. If it stays up front, you are looking at maybe a CV joint starting to go, or a wheel bearing.

post what you find.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

like i posted to another member it could very well be the center cap like you said.mine did the same thing and i thought it was the cv joint going but it was the cap in the center of the rim.check it and see.if not then wheel bearing or cv joint is possible.

if its clicking then it is the cv joint and you will need to either get it fixed(new boot and grease)or if you keep driving it like that then the whole thing.it might already be to bad to just put new boots and fill it.remember its allways better to get it fixed as soon as you know somethings not right because it will cost you more in the long run.

sorry bbsal

if the cv is clicking it is already bad

a new boot and grease will do nothing ofr you

the click is from the constant velosity joint binding at usually the outer joint

once it clicks there is too much play

they usually go if a boot is broken and it gets debris inside to increase the rate of wear

or unless the alignment is off and causes the joint to go into positions it wasn't meant for

remanufactured 1/2 shafts come complete with two new boots and fully packed CV joints.

They should be less than $100.

Takes just shy of 2 hours to replace if you know what you are doing and you have the right tools.

steviej

i must of been one of the lucky ones because i toke mine to lexus under warrentee a couple months ago because my right side started clicking and all they did was put new boot and grease and been fine ever since.i also did one on my old taures when it first started to click and that was fine also.i guess if you drive it around clicking then yea it will need to all be replaced but i cought mine just in time.i should of let it click for a little while longer this way they had to put new ones on since it was under warrentee.lol