1993 Es Head Gasket Issue

mdc

After 78,000 of original ownership, my 1993 ES has a leak in the head gasket and the overheating has blown the radiator. The tech has suggested that the 1993 ES specifically has had a problem moreso than any other year or model. He has no explaination.

Has anyone else heard of this year and model specific problem with overheating due to blown head gasket or water pump problems.

Thanks,

MDC

hey, haven't heard of a GS yet with this 'problem' but for all its worth toyotas do blow head gaskets. Happened to mine too. It just happens, no indication or known proven causes. I don't think the actual year has to do anything with it though.

are you talking about the GS or ES as you mention a es 300 but this is in the GS section?

the 92 -93 es was a iron engine and supposedly had some cooling issues

i am not sure what they where but that engine was scrapped after 93 when the newer 1mz-fe came along and is all aluminum instead of a iron block

After 78,000 of original ownership, my 1993 ES has a leak in the head gasket and the overheating has blown the radiator. The tech has suggested that the 1993 ES specifically has had a problem moreso than any other year or model. He has no explaination.

Has anyone else heard of this year and model specific problem with overheating due to blown head gasket or water pump problems.

Thanks,

MDC

Are you speaking of a GS or ES. Eigther way i have never seen this type of problem with the Lexus/Toyota models. However, it is not unheard of a gasket going after high miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MDC,

A leak in the head gasket didn't cause overheating. The cracked radiator caused the overheating that caused the blown head gasket. Yes, the 93 ES300 is very notorius for this as Toyota didn't do a very good job of matching up the cooling system components. Look for another post "93 Es 300 Overheating" and my reply about the causes of this. Make sure you end up with the thicker radiator!