Timing Chain

robertp

2 members have voted

1. 1. Timing Chain

• I just bought a 1999 LS 400 with 70K miles. I was wondering when the timing chain should be replaced. Some say I do not need to worry about it for as long as I have this car....is this true? All feedback will be appreciated guys!!!!
    • Robert in Miami

I just bought a 1999 LS 400 with 70K miles. I was wondering when the timing chain should be replaced. Some say I do not need to worry about it for as long as I have this car....is this true? All feedback will be appreciated guys!!!!

Robert in Miami

I think it is recommended to be changed at 90k miles interval. I'm guilty of changing at 230k miles on my 94ls. I was running it on borrowed time for quite some time.

The TB in LS is not "chain belt" unlike some cars. Chain belts usually never needs changing.

Technically you don't need to even change the oil. It all depends on how adverse you are to risk. The car will probably last well into 6 figure mileage on the original timing belt. Probably.

By the way timing chains do not necessarily last forever. My 1998 Jaguar XJ8 threw a belt top the tune of thousands of dollars, but luckily was covered by my extended warranty.

Since it is an interference engine, I would play it safe and change it every 90k-100k. I think Lexus recommends a 90k interval. It's not worth the gamble of destroying the V8 for a few extra miles out of the timing belt. ;)

PK, was that the original belt @ 230k?

98~2k LS4 has VVTi engine which is interference engine. broken TB will be a hugh disaster (bent valves for sure). from 97 model year and up, lexus has changed the TB service interval to be part of the 120K or 7-year (whichever comes first) service.

just changed TB on my 97 at 108k. the old belt is still in rather good shape. my mechanic said it should last at least another 20~30k! but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, specially on VVTi engine.

timing chain can definately break! the one in the 93 mercedes 400SEL I used to own did break at 95k, and cost me close to $5K to fix the mess!

Don't gamble with this, change it around 90K as Lexus recommends. The engine will be in serious trouble if it breaks. Yeah, these belts can last a long time, but then again, some don't. I've never heard of one breaking in less than 90K though. Change it and you don't have to worry.

Don't gamble with this, change it around 90K as Lexus recommends.  The engine will be in serious trouble if it breaks.  Yeah, these belts can last a long time, but then again, some don't.  I've never heard of one breaking in less than 90K though.  Change it and you don't have to worry.