Replacing Starter

I have only had my SC400 for 45 days and enjoying it greatly. Sunday she wouldn't turnover. No warning. Just nothing when I turn the key. I hoped it was the battery(thinking that would be the cheapest fix).

Turns out the starter is bad....ok. But they tell me you have to take the intake plenum and intake manifold off to just get to the starter....6 hours of labor!

So to replace a $250.00 part it is going to cost a grand! I thought Lexus was so post to be a well engineered car. What's the deal here? Should I expect this type of thing as being an owner of a Lexus?

:cries: :chairshot: :wacko: :o :angry:

Well...the starter isn't a maintenance item that needs replacing all the time. It usually is a part that needs replacement maybe...every 7+ years.

What year is your car? And look at the mileage. Take that into consideration.

I have only had my SC400 for 45 days and enjoying it greatly.  Sunday she wouldn't turnover.  No warning.  Just nothing when I turn the key.  I hoped it was the battery(thinking that would be the cheapest fix). 

Turns out the starter is bad....ok.  But they tell me you have to take the intake plenum and intake manifold off to just get to the starter....6 hours of labor!

So to replace a $250.00 part it is going to cost a grand!  I thought Lexus was so post to be a well engineered car.  What's the deal here?  Should I expect this type of thing as being an owner of a Lexus?

:cries:  :chairshot:  :wacko:  :o  :angry:

Starter is inside the transmission case so the transmission has to be separated from the block to access the starter. Not sure why your mechanic wants to remove intake but either way the cost is mostly labor due to amount of work that is require removing the starter. In early 90’s Lexus bragged in advertisement how quiet the car was because where the starter was placed.

Starter is inside the transmission case so the transmission has to be separated from the block to access the starter.

Inside transmission case? Definitely not!

Two ways to get to the starter: from the top as suggested by the mechanic or bottom with trans out of the way.