Ls400 Radio/cd Player

travelgal100

Hello....Can anyone help me, Please?....I bought a used 1992 LS400 - a real creampuff....I could not be happier....Have had about 3 months....Yesterday I tried using the CD player for the first time.....It appears that I have locked out the entire sound system - I had to drive today with no radio at all....It seems I had to have a security number....Short of paying the dealer a fortune for this, is there any solution ....Your help would be appreciated!!!...Thanks in advance

Assume that your head unit is the original one from the factory, the SEC code is usually the last 3 digits of your VIN number.  Otherwiseyou should obtain the code from the previous owner.

:D Thank you so much for this advice...I will try those 3 numbers....I do not know the former owner since I bought it from a dealer....I can't wait to try your suggestion :D :D

The LS I bought new in 1990 did not come with the radio security code set - I don't think any did. Try asking the dealer to contact the previous owner and ask for the code. The dealer contacted the 1st owner (leasee) for me with questions I had about my 2000 LS.

:D

The LS I bought new in 1990 did not come with the radio security code set - I don't think any did.  Try asking the dealer to contact the previous owner and ask for the code.  The dealer contacted the 1st owner (leasee) for me with questions I had about my 2000 LS.

Thank you ...I will do that....There is a 5 digit number in the owner's manual and my local car audio store thought that this might be the number....But in the manual it appears that there are only 3 numbers......I will anxiously wait for the dealer to open tomorrow....Thanks for your response.....

You can check to see if this 5-digit number is the code. Put your key to Accessories and press button "1" on your radio. While holding down buttion "1", press the upper portion of the "seek/scan" button and the screen should appear as "---", where each "-" represent a digit. If there are 5 dashed lines, chances are that's the number. Otherwise simply turn off your key and your radio will return to SEC mode.

You can check to see if this 5-digit number is the code.  Put your key to Accessories and  press button "1" on your radio.  While holding down buttion "1", press the upper portion of the "seek/scan" button and the screen should appear as "---", where each "-" represent a digit.  If there are 5 dashed lines, chances are that's the number.  Otherwise simply turn off your key and your radio will return to SEC mode.

:D Hello.....Thanks for your reply....There were only 3 dashes "---"....Therefore I doubt the theory that my local car audio shop suggested to me.....However, on the advice you gave me....Yes, the display does say SEC - but I still cannot get the radio to work (As I said, it was fine until I fooled with the CD player - which I probably would never have used!!!...I miss my radio :( ....) What do you suggest I do , since the display does say "SEC" ?...Thanks in advance once again

I'm afraid your only option is to obtain the code. I'm still puzzled on how the radio manages to switch to SEC mode just by fooling around with the CD player. The only way for the radio to be in SEC mode is to lose all the power. If you do have the code, you have 4 tries. A 5th mistake will activate the anti-theft system and your radio is doomed. The manual says to "bring it to Lexus Dealer", which is not a good idea.

See what information you can obtain from the dealer tomorrow.