Transmission Shift Solenoid

New to the group and needing some help. Have already replaced the ECM on my car about two weeks ago since it would not go into overdrive. (NPC computers in Houston, TX). Now today the check engine light came on and the O/D light is flashing on and off. Also when in drive it has little take off power unless I drop it into Manual low. Had AutoZone run a check on it and they believe it is the shift solenoid. Need to know if this sounds right and if so where is it. Also how do I change it if this is the problem.

Thanks,

Thomas

I did the search for several hours last night and read nearly every post The only one I saw the person said "I think this should be be in the ES forum" which is where it was posted. So still in the dark on this. The car is turning into a real money pit lately. Probably should have kept my 1976 Jaguar XJ6L with the Chevy 305/700R4. At least had everything taken care of on the engine and transmission plus was easier to work on. Did not take 12 hours to change the valve cover gaskets and spark parks. :censored:

i'll move this to the es forum as you will get no one answering it here but me.

Removing the solenoid may not be as needed , if you drop the pan clean the screen and magnets then get an external filter as mentioned in many therad for cheap you can slowly let it clean itself.

what were the CEL codes that Autozone pulled from your ECU?

That will help us.

so a search on "transmission" and restrict the search to posts by a member lexusk8. He had a similar situation. Open the search so it will cover the past year.

steviej

• 4 years later...

I EXPERIENCED THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. THE LEXUS ERROR CODE IS "62"

THE CAUSE OF THE LOW POWER AT TAKE-OFF (START) IS THE #1 AND #2 SOLENOID VALVES WHICH ARE NOT DOWNSHIFTING TO #1 GEAR, HENCE THE NEED TO MANUALLY SHIFT TO #1 GEAR.

YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE SOLENOIDS #1 AND #2. THEY ARE WIRED TOGETHER. PART #85420-32102.

DEALER PRICE IS $259.07. "TOYOTA PARTS EXPRESS" WILL SELL YOU A GENUINE TOYOTA PART FOR $194.69. THEY ARE BASED IN FLORIDA. (877)-771-7278. BRIAN BENNETT IS THEIR TECH MAN. LABOR CHARGES ARE ABOUT $300.00.

THE SOLENOIDS ARE LOCATED INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION PAN, AND CAN BE REACHED BY REMOVING THE OIL PAN. YOU WILL ALSO NEED A NEW GASKET FOR ABOUT $16.00 AND SOME ADDITIONAL ATF FLUID.

THIS IS ALSO A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE THE OIL FILTER. COST IS $26.00 + $10.00 FOR FREIGHT.

I USE AMSOIL SYNTHETIC ATF. IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT VERY GOOD, WORKS WELL AND HELPS PRESERVE THE GEARS AND ALL MOVING PARTS.

LOOK UP THE AMSOIL WEB SITE, IT IS VERY HELPFUL.

I HOPE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS HELPFUL,

Ludlow Technologies.

WILLIAM LUDLOW.

WLUDLOW@knology.net

• Like 1